NAS doesnt boot with ibm m1015

Status
Not open for further replies.

goudviske

Dabbler
Hi,

Recently bought an IBM m1015 SAS addon card, to expand the NAS a little.
I flashed the card to IT mode, which seemed to go perfectly, but when I insert the card into my NAS, it seems to hang during booting. In fact it boots up until the point where it states "Checking NVRAM", this should only take like a second, but the NAS hangs here.

If i take the card out, the NAS boots as normal, I have already tried resetting bios, changing various options in bios (disable ecc, disable onboard devices, load defaults, ...) but none of these things seem to work.

In another PC the SAS card works normally.

Motherboard is an ASUS M3A76-CM.

Any thoughts or ideas?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The only advice I can give is that it looks like the M1015 might not be compatible with your motherboard in combination with FreeBSD.

Have you tried using the M1015 in another system with your FreeNAS USB key to see if it works there?

What version of firmware did you flash? The latest is 16.0 as of a week or so ago.

Edit: Does it actually start booting the USB stick or not? I'm thinking the boot device has changed since you added the M1015. :P

goudviske

Dabbler
Hi,

the m1015 does work properly in another pc, I flashed it in another pc, and it recognised the card and booted properly. Other PC didnt have FreeNAS on it, but I dont think thats relevant, because it doesnt get to the point of booting pretty much anything.

It is currently on firmware 16, so the latest one...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hmm.. sounds like a hardware incompatibility between your motherboard and your M1015.

cr4sh

Cadet
I have this same problem today. Withou IT Firmware all works great. But with IT Firmeware bios hang. I solved this problemy by upgrading bios of my server.
My hardware is HP dc7700 old bios was 2.06 new is 3.02 and all works perfect.
Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.