My rsync cron job creating folders but not copying files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethereal

Guru
hello there.

i have placed this thread in here because i think the problem stems from me changing the dataset permissions from Unix to Windows.

i have two rsync cron scripts - one to copy photographs and the other to copy home videos which run once an hour, i noticed today that when the photograph job finished it had created the folders in the destination but not the files. my rsync job copies fom one dataset to another (Working to Storage). i connect to the datasets as a guest from windows and i can create/move/delete files and folders. the cron job runs as root so i thought it would not have any problems with permissions.

i don't really mess around with permissions so i don't know what other information you require. don't hesitate to tell me what you need.

i just noticed - i'm getting emails - hopefully this will help.

rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/Storage/First Backup/Photography/Scans/.IMG_20170708_0001.jpg.E6zFpQ" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/Storage/First Backup/Photography/Scans/.IMG_20170708_0002.tif.k5s4qQ" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/Storage/First Backup/Photography/Scans/.IMG_20170708_0003.tif.ZKQqr7" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/Storage/First Backup/Photography/Scans/.IMG_20170708_0004.tif.qjbBlQ" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

rsync: mkstemp "/mnt/Storage/First Backup/Photography/Scans/2017-07-08/.IMG.bmp.P2GGAu" failed: Operation not permitted (1) rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1180) [sender=3.1.2]

thank you

ethereal

Guru
i did find this - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/copy-from-hd-to-usb.54540/ (It's trying to create a temporary file and failing with "operation not permitted")

i tried changing my -a to -rlptgoD with same outcome.

this is my script:-

rsync -avs --backup --backup-dir="/mnt/Storage/First Backup/Photography/Changes/" \
--suffix=_`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H_%M` "/mnt/Working/Photography/Photographs/" \
"/mnt/Storage/First Backup/Photography/"

ethereal

Guru
i updated to FreeNAS-11.0-U1 (aa82cc58d) two days ago. should i try a previous boot environment ?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
i did find this - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/copy-from-hd-to-usb.54540/ (It's trying to create a temporary file and failing with "operation not permitted")

i tried changing my -a to -rlptgoD with same outcome.

this is my script:-

rsync -avs --backup --backup-dir="/mnt/Storage/First Backup/Photography/Changes/" \
You need to avoid the '-a', '-p', and '-A' options; see the "Impaired rsync permissions support for Windows datasets" thread for details.

See the bug report referenced in the above thread. A fix for this problem is scheduled for version 11.1

Good luck!

ethereal

Guru
i thought i'd edited the script by hand correctly but i must have missed something. this morning after i copied and pasted, it works.

rsync -rltgoDvs --backup --backup-dir="/mnt/Storage/First Backup/Photography/Changes/" \

Status
Not open for further replies.