My low-power freeNAS proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixel8383

Explorer
Hello, I am trying to build a low power home-NAS solution and would like to use freeNAS as O.S.
I think I have found some hardware but I would like to be sure that the specs are good enough to make it run decently.

My shopping list is:
Could you please help me to confirm that everything is OK? Do you have any suggestion? The entire solution, today, will cost 253€ (disks are not included).

Thank you.

carrello.png

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I think I have found some hardware but I would like to be sure that the specs are good enough to make it run decently.
It is going to depend on exactly what you plan to do with your NAS besides just being a file server, and that includes the number of drives, because each drive adds a load to the power supply and I would think that supply might be a little low powered to ensure enough start current for all the drives, depending on how many you plan to have, which you didn't tell us.
If you give us more information, we might be able to provide more guidance. In the meantime, here is a little light reading for you to help you:

Hardware Requirements
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

Proper Power Supply Sizing Guidance
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/proper-power-supply-sizing-guidance.38811/

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

Terminology and Abbreviations Primer
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/freenas®-quick-hardware-guide.7/

Hardware Recommendations Guide Rev 1e) 2017-05-06
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

pixel8383

Explorer
It is going to depend on exactly what you plan to do with your NAS besides just being a file server, and that includes the number of drives, because each drive adds a load to the power supply and I would think that supply might be a little low powered to ensure enough start current for all the drives, depending on how many you plan to have, which you didn't tell us.
I think I will add two 3,5" disk (4TB each) via SATA and 1 3,5" disk via USB3 (I need to use it with HFS+). The CPU has a TDP of 6,5W. If the 3 disks need 30W each, 5W for each RAM, 20W for the motherboard, I would be at 6,5+(30*3)+(5*2)+20=126W. The PS is 350W, do you think is too low?
Thanks for your suggestions!

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

pixel8383

Explorer
ZFS is the only file system that is supported in FreeNAS during normal operation. Data from some other file systems (not including HFS+) can merely be imported.
My root reason for HFS+ is: I want to store my Photos library outside my MacBooks. Apple declares that the latest software rely heavly on the file system is working on and HFS+ (or APFS) is mandatory to make it work fine.
The solutions are 2: create a sparse image on a NAS and mount it or use an external HFS+ disk. The first one, obviously, will suffer performance issues.
So, I was thinking of using a disk formatted with HFS+ and shared through FreeNAS. As far I understood, you can install hfsutils to manage hfs+ disks. Isn't it?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So, I was thinking of using a disk formatted with HFS+ and shared through FreeNAS.
That's not how things work. You don't share using filesystems, you share using protocols like AFP, SMB or NFS. Or you create block devices which the client then uses how it sees fit.

pixel8383

Explorer
Yes, I know, the files will be accessible using AFP but if the file system supports the meta-data the original files have, then you will not corrupt the information scheme.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yes, I know, the files will be accessible using AFP but if the file system supports the meta-data the original files have, then you will not corrupt the information scheme.
FreeNAS uses ZFS. You don't get to format the drives with anything else. Go back and read the documentation again.

pixel8383

Explorer
What if I attach to FreeNAS an HFS+ disk via usb? Can I mount it using hfsutils?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
What if I attach to FreeNAS an HFS+ disk via usb? Can I mount it using hfsutils?

hfsutils is not incuded in FreeNAS. Moreover, it is not intended to add further packages to a FreeNAS installation.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The whole point of using FreeNAS is so you have ZFS. If you don't want ZFS, just use something else and forget you ever heard of FreeNAS.

pixel8383

Explorer
hfsutils is not incuded in FreeNAS. Moreover, it is not intended to add further packages to a FreeNAS installation.
I understood you can install it on a jail. Isn't it?
The whole point of using FreeNAS is so you have ZFS. If you don't want ZFS, just use something else and forget you ever heard of FreeNAS.
Yes, I know. For sure I will eventually use ZFS on my mirrored pool (yes, I don't have plan to buy more than 2 disk at this moment). Actually I would like to understand:
1. if my solution is compliant enough with the system (I already read a lot about ECC memory...).
2. if I will be able to share using FreeNAS an external disk attacched to the NAS using an USB port formatted with HFS+.
3. I know I have a lot to discover right now... :smile:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
2. if I will be able to share using FreeNAS an external disk attacched to the NAS using an USB port formatted with HFS+.
Not using the GUI.
I understood you can install it on a jail.
If you are able to make this work through a jail, that will be in the JAIL which is FreeBSD, not FreeNAS. I don't understand your desire for that file system.

pixel8383

Explorer
Not using the GUI.
Yes, I saw it. I was planning to install it via ssh on a jail.
If you are able to make this work through a jail, that will be in the JAIL which is FreeBSD, not FreeNAS. I don't understand your desire for that file system.
That's unlucky. I am here to better understand pro&cons of this solution. I am sticky to HFS+ since macOS relies very much on that file system (i.e., Photos application uses the file system's metadata to store some information useful to build the library. It doesn't work on different file systems).
My first issue right now is to find a workable and convenient way to move my Photos library outside my MacBook Pro (since it's going to be bigger and bigger). Anyway I discovered that Apple does not suggest to use network drives to use the library, so I think I will have to move to other solutions. One could be to use and external USB drive directly attacched to my Macbook and backupped to a NAS using Time Machine (that way there is no reason for using an HFS drive on the NAS).

Do you see any other solution? What do you think about the configuration I posted? My two main doubts are the ram (non-ECC) and the NIC chipset (Realtek). I have seen another post on this forum of an user happly using my motherboard for his freeNAS solution.

adrianwi

Guru
My advice would be to move your photo library outside the macOS Photo app. There are much better solutions that also won't place limitations on the file system the data has to be stored on. Apple left the professional photography management space when they abandoned Aperture some years ago. The Photos app doesn't even come close to that, and Aperture has been well and truly surpassed in the meantime. FreeNAS works very nicely with my Apple infrastructure, but don't try and bend it to provide you with access to a poor application which might result in undesirable consequences. HFS+ is also finished as Apple's file system of choice, so even if you could get it to work it would have a limited lifespan.

kdragon75

Wizard
Yes, I saw it. I was planning to install it via ssh on a jail.

That's unlucky. I am here to better understand pro&cons of this solution. I am sticky to HFS+ since macOS relies very much on that file system (i.e., Photos application uses the file system's metadata to store some information useful to build the library. It doesn't work on different file systems).
My first issue right now is to find a workable and convenient way to move my Photos library outside my MacBook Pro (since it's going to be bigger and bigger). Anyway I discovered that Apple does not suggest to use network drives to use the library, so I think I will have to move to other solutions. One could be to use and external USB drive directly attached to my Macbook and backupped to a NAS using Time Machine (that way there is no reason for using an HFS drive on the NAS).

Do you see any other solution? What do you think about the configuration I posted? My two main doubts are the ram (non-ECC) and the NIC chipset (Realtek). I have seen another post on this forum of an user happly using my motherboard for his freeNAS solution.
Use iSCSI with ZFS backed block storage. to connect to iSCSI on your Mac you need to buy software like kernsafe iscsi initiator x with this it will look like a local disk and can be formatted as HFwhateverS+. keep in mind, YOU CAN NOT SHARE FILE from FreeNAS when doing this. Also DONT USE THIS OVER WIFI you WILL corrupt all of your photos. Also every time you want to unhook from the wall you MUST unmount the disk or you WILL corrupt all of your photos. Think of iSCSI and a long cord for your hard drive. No picture what will happen if you yank you running hard drive from your computer... You WILL corrupt all of your photos.

So yeah you can get HFS+ on the FreeNAS and access it from your Mac... but... you WILL corrupt all of your photos. Feel free to read the FreeNAS Doc, ZFS, iSCSI, and block vs file shares. If after you read ALL of that and o some follow up research on your own, I would be happy to help cobble whatever you want! Also don't trust apple with your photos. Thew fact (if true) that apples software is SO dependant on their filesystem tells me thy just want you to buy a time capsule or use iCloud. Its hardcore BS vendor lock in. We don't like that kind of thing around here, that why we use semi open-ish source software.

kdragon75

Wizard
Long story short, If you want to use Apple on Apple buy more Apple.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
What do you think about the configuration I posted? My two main doubts are the ram (non-ECC) and the NIC chipset (Realtek).

RAM: ECC RAM is highly recommended while non-ECC RAM "should work". Be also aware of the fact that 8GB RAM is the minimum amount of RAM required for FreeNAS. Just for file serving that is. If you plan to do anything else (FreeBSD Jails, Plugins, Virtual Machines) 8GB RAM will be not sufficient.

Realtek NIC: If possible stay away from that. Using an Intel NIC instead would occupy the sole PCIe slot available on a J3710-ITX.

Using USB connected disks for storage is generally not recommended (potential SMART issues, potential reliability issues, ...).

The onboard ASMedia ASM1061 (managing 2 of 4 SATA ports) is not a recommended SATA controller for FreeNAS.

A Braswell/Airmont board like the Asrock J3710-ITX should work in FreeNAS, but be aware of the fact that boards with the direct successor SOC (Apollo Lake/Goldmont) do need some quirks to even boot with FreeNAS. I have no idea what future FreeNAS/FreeBSD versions will bring to users of such "Consumer Atom" systems.

kdragon75

Wizard
Dont use a realtek with iSCSI. otherwise, if you don't care about speed or reliable connections its fine. As for the non-ECC. If your buying new hardware, get ECC. if not use what you have. If your not using ECC do a 12 to 24hr memtest. If it passes 100% its fine. If there are ANY errors use different memory.

kdragon75

Wizard
Using an Intel NIC instead would occupy the sole PCIe slot available on a J3710-ITX.
The big downside to miniITX. If you go mini, get the best or be sad latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.