BUILD My idea of a setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubje

Cadet
I've been checking this forum for a while reading up on the things that are posted and I think I got a good setup but I'm open for suggestions and improvements.

To start I want to use it as a NAS for some personal documents and with SickBeard / CouchPotato. In the future I might add more that's why I have chosen for this CPU. This one is to play a bit and get familiar with FreeNAS. Once I know more how it works I might use it in the office for NAS and a remote one for backup but with a different setup.

My idea is:
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3
Supermicro X10SLL-F
Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black
Antec Earthwatts Platinum 550W
2x Crucial CT102472BD160B 8GB
SanDisk 32GB, USB3.0, Extreme SDCZ80-032G-G46 (for the OS)

I did not make up my mind yet about the drives, still thinking if I should go for 3 or 4 TB in RAIDZ2.
4x WD Red 3TB SATA WD30EFRX
4x WD RED 4TB SATA WD40EFRX

Later maybe I'll add 1 or 2 extra fans if the temperature becomes too high.
I'm still looking for a UPS but did not make a decision yet for the model.

Is this a good setup or am I missing something?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Looks great. About the only thing you need to figure out is how much storage space you need and that will guide your hard drive decision.

Mlovelace

Guru
I've been checking this forum for a while reading up on the things that are posted and I think I got a good setup but I'm open for suggestions and improvements.

To start I want to use it as a NAS for some personal documents and with SickBeard / CouchPotato. In the future I might add more that's why I have chosen for this CPU. This one is to play a bit and get familiar with FreeNAS. Once I know more how it works I might use it in the office for NAS and a remote one for backup but with a different setup.

My idea is:
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3
Supermicro X10SLL-F
Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black
Antec Earthwatts Platinum 550W
2x Crucial CT102472BD160B 8GB
SanDisk 32GB, USB3.0, Extreme SDCZ80-032G-G46 (for the OS)

I did not make up my mind yet about the drives, still thinking if I should go for 3 or 4 TB in RAIDZ2.
4x WD Red 3TB SATA WD30EFRX
4x WD RED 4TB SATA WD40EFRX

Later maybe I'll add 1 or 2 extra fans if the temperature becomes too high.
I'm still looking for a UPS but did not make a decision yet for the model.

Is this a good setup or am I missing something?
If you're wanting to use the Crucial RAM then you'll want the Supermicro X10SSL+-F board. The (+) board is the one with the expanded tested memory list that includes the Micron (Crucial) ram.

Edit: Here's a link

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you're wanting to use the Crucial RAM then you'll want the Supermicro X10SSL+-F board. The (+) board is the one with the expanded tested memory list that includes the Micron (Crucial) ram.

Edit: Here's a link

X10SLL+-F, X10SLM+-F, X10SLM+-LN4F, X10SLH-F or X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.