Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antec Neo HE430

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kckopp

Dabbler
My current FreeNAS setup has a Corsair CX430, i3-550, 4x 4GB Ram, 6x WD Red 3TB. I am about to move over to a Supermicro X10SLL+-F, Xeon E3-1231V3, 4x 8GB 1.35v DD3-1600 ECC Ram, moving the drives over.

I have a couple other power supplies laying around that I am thinking of swapping to and wanted to see if anyone had feedback about which may be best in terms of efficiency and reliability.
  • Corsair CX430 - 430w 80+ Bronze - been running my freenas server for a few years (Channel Well)
  • SeaSonic S12 II SS-380GB - 380w 80+ - was in HTPC that has been replaced by a NUC
  • Corsair VX450 - 450w 80+ - was in an old desktop (Seasonic, maybe SS12 II)
  • Antec Earthwatts EA350 Green - 350w 80+ Bronze - old desktop (Delta)
  • Antec Neo HE430 - 430w High Efficiency no cert. - old desktop (Seasonic)
I plan to set up the drives to staggered spin up so would think that 380w should be enough but want to hear what y'all think.

Thanks for looking and any feedback!

edit: added a couple Antec's I found and added the OEM for the CX430

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Seasonic S12, no contest.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm partial to the Seasonic as well. It may not be a new power supply but it's a quality unit. Since it's a fairly old unit I'd check the fan operation and ensure it's not making any odd noise. If it is then I'd buy a quality fan to replace it with. The downside to replacing a fan in a power supply is the wires are likely soldered so if this is out of your skill range then either find someone who can do it or choose a different power supply.

kckopp

Dabbler
I'm partial to the Seasonic as well. It may not be a new power supply but it's a quality unit. Since it's a fairly old unit I'd check the fan operation and ensure it's not making any odd noise. If it is then I'd buy a quality fan to replace it with. The downside to replacing a fan in a power supply is the wires are likely soldered so if this is out of your skill range then either find someone who can do it or choose a different power supply.

I'll be sure that the fan is in good shape and replace if need be. I'd be able to solder a new one in. Thanks. :)

No worries about the fact that the Seasonic is 380w? As I wrote in OP I plan to stagger spin up on the drives so would expect all to be good but the quick and dirty PSU sizing guides seem to point to ~450w. Also, I expect that I'd be closer to the sweet spot for efficiency with the 380w so long as I don't ever hit the upper limit. Thoughts?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wait a minute, I misread that Corsair unit as VS, which is as close to pure crap as one can get without buying a fire hazard that will fry the components. The VX should be comparable to the Seasonic, if it is indeed a rebadged Seasonic.

In any case, the six WD Reds should draw around 180W peak during spinup, leaving you with plenty of reserve for the rest, even in a worst-case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.