My HP ProLiant ML 10 Gen 9 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOdekirk

Cadet
I just wanted to make a quick post describing my ML 10 Gen 9 build.
My goal was to put together a good system for as little money as possible without cutting any corners. I could have gone with more RAM or larger drives, but this build satisfies my needs for now.

HP ProLiant ML 10 Gen 9 $169 + 4.99 shipping
8GB Crucial DDR4 ECC $109.99 + free shipping
Monoprice DisplayPort 1.2a to DVI Active Adapter $9.99 + free shipping
SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB USB Flash Drive (2 pack) $19.11 + free shipping
WD Red 2TB ($84.99 each x 2) $169.98 + free shipping

Total without drives: $313.08
My total: $483.06
Total with 4 2TB drives: $653.04

I didn't want to spend more on RAM than the server itself, so I opted for an 8GB module instead of a 16GB module. This gives me a total of 12GB RAM which I think will be sufficient for my needs.
I didn't have any problem with the Monoprice Display Port to DVI adapter. It was the least expensive active adapter I could find and it worked fine.
I already had 2 2TB drives from a LaCie Network Space Max so I only needed to add 2 new drives.
The HP ProLiant ML 10 Gen 9 comes with all of the hardware and cables to mount 4 drives. Installing the drives is very straightforward and there is plenty of room.
Installing FreeNAS was a breeze and configuring the drives into a volume and creating a share wasn't difficult either.
So far I have been very pleased with this build. The transfer rate is much higher than I was getting with the Network Space Max and it is quiet.
I'd be happy to answer any questions if there are any.

Shawn

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
My goal was to put together a good system for as little money as possible without cutting any corners. I could have gone with more RAM or larger drives, but this build satisfies my needs for now.

Shawn
Looks reasonable to me. The one thing we have seen with that HP chassis is it doesn't have great airflow so the drives tend to run a little hot. Some people have ended up adding additional fans.

There are also a bunch of monitoring and reporting scripts available that you might want to look into running.

Here is the link to the place that tells you how to set them up, don't skip to the end, the important bit is at the beginning:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...d-identification-and-backup-the-config.27365/

Here is the link to the Github Repository info:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...for-freenas-scripts-including-disk-burnin.28/

Do you have any questions for us?

SOdekirk

Cadet
No questions. Thanks for asking.
I have seen some interest in using the ProLiant ML 10 Gen 9 in FreeNAS builds, so I thought posting my experience could be beneficial.
Thanks for the heads-up regarding temperatures and the links to threads on how to set up monitoring. I will keep an eye on the temperatures.

Thanks,
Shawn

dezufnoC

Cadet

HP ProLiant ML 10 Gen 9 $169 + 4.99 shipping
8GB Crucial DDR4 ECC $109.99 + free shipping
Monoprice DisplayPort 1.2a to DVI Active Adapter $9.99 + free shipping
SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB USB Flash Drive (2 pack) $19.11 + free shipping
WD Red 2TB ($84.99 each x 2) $169.98 + free shipping

Total without drives: $313.08
My total: $483.06
Total with 4 2TB drives: $653.04

I didn't want to spend more on RAM than the server itself, so I opted for an 8GB module instead of a 16GB module. This gives me a total of 12GB RAM which I think will be sufficient for my needs.
I didn't have any problem with the Monoprice Display Port to DVI adapter. It was the least expensive active adapter I could find and it worked fine.
I already had 2 2TB drives from a LaCie Network Space Max so I only needed to add 2 new drives.
The HP ProLiant ML 10 Gen 9 comes with all of the hardware and cables to mount 4 drives. Installing the drives is very straightforward and there is plenty of room.
Installing FreeNAS was a breeze and configuring the drives into a volume and creating a share wasn't difficult either.
So far I have been very pleased with this build. The transfer rate is much higher than I was getting with the Network Space Max and it is quiet.

Shawn
I just ordered this server as an upgrade from my old non sanctioned pc-turned-FreeNAS server. Looking forward to building this with 4 (4) TB drives to support mainly movies and TV shows for a family of 4 internally.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.