My FreeNAS11-RC1 dies after 2-3 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
My FreeNAS11 has started dying after two or three days operation. There are no logs (in /var/log) indication any errors. After a restart everything seems OK again. ZFS volumes are mounted OK without any errors. There are no messages at all indicating trouble..

Any suggestions where to start looking? This started about two weeks ago. And has occured about four times.

The hardware of my NAS:
  1. Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX Black
  2. Fractal Design Integra M 450W PSU
  3. MSI H110I Pro, Socket-1151 motherboard
  4. Intel Core i5-6400, Socket-LGA1151 processor
    • using the Intel Core i5 as CPU in NAS is probably an overkill....
  5. Kingston ValueRAM DDR4 2133MHz 16GB
  6. Two WD Red 1TB NAS Hard drive, SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB, 3.5”, 24x7 reliability, IntelliPower (bought in 2014)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Dying how?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That on-board Realtek NIC isn't going to do you any favors.
The whole platform is somewhat dubious.

I'd make sure the hardware is working properly first.

The whole platform is somewhat dubious.

I'd make sure the hardware is working properly first.

Well, I do follow you.. I am not a HW dude.. But, apart from that, my NAS platform has been working OK for at least 1/2 year. So why start dying now? I understand I might have to start looking for better FreeBSD compliant HW ... I suppose there are some decent Mini-ITX MB with LGA1151 support which is more compliant to FreeBSD than the MSI MB...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So why start dying now?
The question is why wouldn't it?

I understand I might have to start looking for better FreeBSD compliant HW ...
Ideally, you'd want to read the Hardware Recommendations Guide before you choose new hardware (it's in the Resources section, link also in my sig), but that's not what I mean. It's quite likely that it has some sort of intermittent fault, maybe bad RAM or a dodgy CPU or something similar.

The question is why wouldn't it?

Ideally, you'd want to read the Hardware Recommendations Guide before you choose new hardware (it's in the Resources section, link also in my sig), but that's not what I mean. It's quite likely that it has some sort of intermittent fault, maybe bad RAM or a dodgy CPU or something similar.

Thx very much for pointing my to the HW guide ;-) I will start looking for new HW now..

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Likely not because your i5 doesn't support ECC memory. From the Supermicro site you linked to:

1. Single socket H4 (LGA 1151) supports Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 v6/v5, Intel® 7th/6th Gen. Core™ i3 series,
    Intel® Celeron® and Intel® Pentium®

Status
Not open for further replies.