My FreeNas Server with lots of Memory, tweaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zambanini

Patron
the sm 36 bay unit must be extreme loud. at least our new 837E26-RJBOD1 (double sided 3u) is more noticeable then the one sided jbod.

Pointeo13

Explorer
the sm 36 bay unit must be extreme loud. at least our new 837E26-RJBOD1 (double sided 3u) is more noticeable then the one sided jbod.

I'll do the same as I did with the other two storage chassis, install fan controllers and line the entire thing with SilverStone Sound Dampening Acoustic Foam. That does wonders, especially for the Netgear 10G switch, it was crazy loud before installing the Acoustic Foam.

zambanini

Patron
fan controller was on my list, thx for the acoustic foam input!

MtK

Patron
Wanted to give an update, I destroyed my Raidz2 for the VMware Storage, added six more 300GB SAS drives (for total of 24 drives) and made 12 vdev with each vdev being mirrored.

i5AoqKD.jpg

I also installed second LSI card, took my two Intel x25-e 64GB SSD drives, added them to the new pool in a mirror and put the log/zil onto it. Since I’m using iscsi I went ahead and used the command zfs set sync=always on the pool. The reason I did this was because my storage controller 10G nic failed after two years, which caused a couple domain controllers to corrupt, wasn’t a big deal, restored from backups and everything was fine again (I do backups twice a day.) I have purchase a second 10G switch and now have two 10G nic’s installed in the storage controller, this way I can go back to sync=disabled if I want.

I’m also excited to say I have bought another storage array, the Supermicro SuperChassis CSE-847E16-R1K28LPB which has 36 HDD bays. I did this because last week I officially filled the entire first Supermicro storage chassis 24 bay all with 300GB SAS drives and the second Supermicro storage chassis 24 bay all with 3TB drives. Need more room to expand. :D
Just curios, which drives did you buy?
(And if possibly from where)

MtK

Patron

MtK

Patron

Pointeo13

Explorer
Another Update, When I installed the two Intel x25-e 64GB SSD in a mirror for the slog, so I could enable sync writes for my vm's over iscsi, the performance was pretty good. Just for fun, I disabled sync write, deleted the mirror, removed the two Intel drives and added added two 120GB Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 just to see what the performance was like and of course it was TERRIBLE lol, the latency went through the roof. I only did this because I wanted to see how bad it could get. Today my two 200GB Intel S3700 SSD drives arrived to replace the old X25-e and wow performance is so much better then the X25-e for SLOG, I am very happy with the upgrade and almost feels like sync writes have been disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.