My FreeNAS has a mind of its own. (help please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixcomm

Cadet
Im having problems with my FreeNAS. The Only Thing that I can do is FTP as root (then I can read and write.) If I use "Noname" then i can see it (read only) My RAID is a Mirror using ZFS. I have my ipadder as 192.168.1.10. I know its there as I can ping to it. But I can see my RAID as an Exported drive. "showmount" should come back almost immediately. But It takes like maybe a minute:
Code:
harrison@Whirlwind ~ $ date
Tue Sep 26 19:58:43 CDT 2017
harrison@Whirlwind ~ $ showmount -e
Export list for Whirlwind:
/mnt/MyData/Music  192.168.1.1/24
/mnt/MyData/public 192.168.1.1/24
Tue Sep 26 19:58:57 CDT 2017
harrison@Whirlwind ~ $ showmount nas -e
Export list for nas:
/mnt/Media 192.168.1.0   (this should be 192.168.1.10 that's how i configured)
Tue Sep 26 19:59:25 CDT 2017
harrison@Whirlwind ~ $

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
FreeNAS version, hardware specs, output of ifconfig on server. Don't share your root pool ever! Create a dataset and share that.

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenixcomm

Cadet
Freenas version, hardware specs, output of ifconfig on server. Don't share your root pool ever! Create a dataset and share that.
Code:
FreeNAS-11.0-U3 (c5dcf4416)
PlatformAMD Athlon(tm) X2 240
ProcessorMemory3929MB
System TimeSun Jan 06 01:16:29 CST 2002
Uptime1:16AM up 4 days, 6:10, 0
usersLoad Average0.22, 0.29, 0.23
[root@nas ~]# ifconfig														
nfe0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500	
		options=8210b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>		
		ether 00:24:8c:be:6c:b4												
		inet 192.168.1.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255		   
		nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>								   
		media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)				   
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384			  
		options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>				  
		inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128												
		inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2							
		inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000									  
		nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>							  
		groups: lo															
[root@nas ~]#	

(:oops:yes I know the time is wrong I need a new battery & about hardware what I got is what I have.:rolleyes:)
I do understand how ZFS works as I was running Solaris 10 on Spark hardware.
I started messing about with UNIX back in the 80's at Trenton State College
First box had Interactive, later Sun Spark hardware, After putting up with MS Windows 95-7, now LINUX on a PC

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you read the FreeNAS hardware requirements? You need 8GB+, a Intel nic and amd is not a good choice because the motherboard are usually crappy.

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenixcomm

Cadet
Did you read the FreeNAS hardware requirements? You need 8GB+, an Intel Nic and AMD is not a good choice because the motherboard are usually crappy.
Boy oh Boy!:confused: Let's take this one at a time.
  • The motherboard is ASUS, and is not Crappy!
  • I would love to put more memory in my box, but at the moment, I don't have the coin. Will you buy them for me, please?:rolleyes:
  • Why, in the world, would you put an Intel nic on an AMD motherboard?:rolleyes: and the last time I checked Inet sweet does not give a RatsAss about hardware. :D
  • Why Do you Love Intel crap??
Please forgive my sarcasm. I have a BSEE, and minor in CS. Currently working on Aircraft Simulation. (Not a game).
Cris H.
Fort Worth, Tx

styno

Patron
harrison@Whirlwind ~ $ showmount nas -e
Export list for nas:
/mnt/Media 192.168.1.0 (this should be 192.168.1.10 that's how i configured)
[/CODE]
Strange, what does an nslookup of 'nas' replies? Did you put it in the hostfile? What if you do the showmount on IP?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would love to put more memory in my box, but at the moment, I don't have the coin. Will you buy them for me, please?
No, we won't. If you don't have the coin to acquire suitable hardware for FreeNAS, you're probably better using a different OS.
Why, in the world, would you put an Intel nic on an AMD motherboard?
Because the FreeBSD NIC drivers for Intel NICs are among the most stable, reliable, and performant NIC drivers available in that OS. I'm not sure how the nVidia chipset and drivers compare to the garbage Realtek ones, but general reports on nVidia chipsets and FreeBSD aren't good.
Why Do you Love Intel crap?
Because it, generally, works better with FreeBSD.

But carry on, you obviously know more than the rest of us.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The requirement is for at least 8GB of RAM. If you give it less than the required minimum, expect problems.

AMD processors should mostly work, and Asus motherboards should be adequate. I'd inspect the capacitors on that motherboard, which is likely pretty old at this point.

That motherboard uses an Nvidia chipset for the network and other functions. I don't have fond memories of those, and would avoid them in general.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you give it less than the required minimum
What is it about "required minimum" that's so hard to understand? Because it seems like a lot of users do have trouble understanding this (and, not infrequently, reply with snarky BS like the OP here did when called on it).

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That motherboard uses an Nvidia chipset for the network and other functions. I don't have fond memories of those, and would avoid them in general.
That's a very...... generous .....way of putting that.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Boy oh Boy!:confused: Let's take this one at a time.
  • The motherboard is ASUS, and is not Crappy!
  • I would love to put more memory in my box, but at the moment, I don't have the coin. Will you buy them for me, please?:rolleyes:
  • Why, in the world, would you put an Intel nic on an AMD motherboard?:rolleyes: and the last time I checked Inet sweet does not give a RatsAss about hardware. :D
  • Why Do you Love Intel crap??
Please forgive my sarcasm. I have a BSEE, and minor in CS. Currently working on Aircraft Simulation. (Not a game).
Cris H.
Fort Worth, Tx
Don't use FreeNAS if you can't afford the hardware. But if you're smarter than all us feel free to do what you want but no more questions when it doesn't work.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
In short, that motherboard is really not a good choice for running current versions of FreeNAS. If it will take 8GB of RAM, that might be the way to go. But I've often found that trying to obtain older types of RAM is more expensive than replacing a motherboard. There are several types of server hardware that people talk about in these forums, obtainable cheaply from ebay or Newegg or other sources, around $200 or so for an entire system. That might be an option.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.