My FreeNAS box won't bootup after a shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
I shut my FreeNAS box down to install another HD , and after doing so I had to rearrange some of the sata cables.
After switching back on the boot sequence is juast going round in circles and won't or can't the USB Boot drive.
So I put everything back the way it was before but still the same problem.

I have checked the BIOS to make sure the USB drive is the 1st boot option, but it is not been seebnfor some odd reason.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Is your usb stick being detected by the BIOS?

ethereal

Guru
i would recommend an ssd over usb flash drives - so much better.

you can test your flash drives with Flash Drive Tester.

you are obviously having a lot of problems with your flash drives. i would remove one of the drives at a time and see which is causing the problem then eat it (or both)

Last edited:

avalon60

Guru
Is your usb stick being detected by the BIOS?

Yes both of them are,. The Transcend USB drive is the 1st boot option under boot option priorities.

Amazing, I have swapped the USB priorties from the Transcend Drive to the Sandisk Cruzer drive, and it is booting now.
The said drive is a mirror of the Transcend drive!!

avalon60

Guru
Good lord.........

Is this just a continuation of any of these?:

No as it bootedup ok from the Transcend Jetflast USB 3.0 drive earlier this morning, and then I added the Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB 2.0 Mirrored Boot Drive. I rebooted after that and all was well, so I then shutdown the NAS box and did what I wanted, but as per original post it didn't boot back up

avalon60

Guru
i would recommend an ssd over usb flash drives - so much better.

you can test you flash drives with Flash Drive Tester.

you are obviously having a lot of problems with your flash drives. i would remove one of the drives at a time and see which is causing the problem then eat it (or both)

I was thinking of getting a small ssd drive for this.

ethereal

Guru

avalon60

Guru

ethereal

Guru

ethereal

Guru
i did have a pair of flash usb and they didn't last very long - because there were two - the problems seemed twice as much.

i got a second hand 40 GB intel 320 ssd and it was still under warranty because it was based on writes rather than when it was produced/purchased.

my ssd does faster installs/upgrades and a little faster with booting

avalon60

Guru
The trouble is that I have ran out of sata connections toadd a ssd drive. I have a total of 8 drives installed, 6 on the board and 2 on a pcie card.

avalon60

Guru
i did have a pair of flash usb and they didn't last very long - because there were two - the problems seemed twice as much.

i got a second hand 40 GB intel 320 ssd and it was still under warranty because it was based on writes rather than when it was produced/purchased.

my ssd does faster installs/upgrades and a little faster with booting

Out of interest, what make of flash drives did you have ?

ethereal

Guru
SanDisk Cruzer Fit - USB flash drive

Dice

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.