My 2019 FreeNAS Build

stk1987

Cadet
Hey Guys, I am new to FreeNAS and I need a nice NAS server for my VM server/s. Right now i have my storage and VM server all in one and i am running out of space to put hard drives in it as well as i would like to setup a cluster for redundancy. I was looking at qnap and Synology but for a home lab and what i wonted in performance they were way out of my price rang 5k. Right now i have a SSD for my VM OS's (I am running 12 VM's) and four 4TB SAS drive running on a RAID 5 for my data drives. I also have a couple of stand-alone drives for backups, ISO's, virtual memory... For my VM software i am running vmware 6.7. The below link is the setup i am thinking about doing. I am going to use the existing four SAS drive in the NAS server. I think i am going to be using RAID-Z1. But i do have a question about RAID-Z1. Can i put 4 drives and have it configured as a RAID-Z1 then add another 4 drives to it? or do I have to rebuild the RAID-Z1 again with all 8 drives? The reason for this i would like to get the new setup up and running and move all my data over from my existing drive then put them in the new NAS server.
Note 1: I put two 10GB NIC's in there because i need one for my current VM server.
Note 2: I know the RAID card that i have doesn't support all drives in the case but its a start and the motherboard does have sata i can us if needed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uAFB9MDKb365eqLdM5SsOmeb-KkDbIIuEpS5pZtEkKg/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know what you guys think.

Thank you for your time,

Steve

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard
> Can i put 4 drives and have it configured as a RAID-Z1 then add another 4 drives to it?

Not to the same vdev. You can have two vdevs in the same pool though.

> or do I have to rebuild the RAID-Z1 again with all 8 drives?

raidz1 with eight 4tb drives means you are very likely to lose your data in case of drive failure. That'd suggest raidz2

If this is for VM use, I'd look at the IOPS you need. Two vdevs might be better, as long as you have a backup of everything.

Read into slog as well, if you're going to do sync writes, which I'm assuming you will from ESXi.