BUILD My 1st Server Build Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Wizard
If I get something like a EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 would I have any problems with it? Would it connect to the X11SSH-LN4F without issues?
no issues.

Arman

Patron
no issues.
The EVGA Supernova 850 G2 is the same price as that one on NewEgg UK. Would it be wise to get the powersupply with the higher wattage to have room for future expansion? Would it not automatically use more power at idle compared to the 750?

Dice

Wizard
Would it be wise to get the powersupply with the higher wattage to have room for future expansion?
Read some reviews and try to determine if there are any real benefits or drawbacks in sight.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
@depasseg Would ~5 minutes be enough just shut off the system? How many VA(s) does your system pull?
How long does your machine take to shutdown? I would imagine 5 minutes is a pretty good number.

APC has a great calculator to help figure out sizing. And from there it will give you product recommendations. I've got a bunch of stuff in my setup, so I have 2 3000VA units. That isn't applicable to what you need though.

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/US/en/server/device
upload_2016-5-7_11-44-49.png

Arman

Patron
How long does your machine take to shutdown? I would imagine 5 minutes is a pretty good number.

APC has a great calculator to help figure out sizing. And from there it will give you product recommendations. I've got a bunch of stuff in my setup, so I have 2 3000VA units. That isn't applicable to what you need though.

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/US/en/server/device
View attachment 11713
I tried to find the CPU i'm looking for on there and I couldn't find it. I'm gonna be using the E3-1275 V5 which is in the E3-1200 V5 product family, but it's not listed on that APC link.

Arman

Patron
Last edited:

Arman

Patron

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I tried to find the CPU i'm looking for on there and I couldn't find it. I'm gonna be using the E3-1275 V5 which is in the E3-1200 V5 product family, but it's not listed on that APC link.
It doesn't need to be exact. Something similar is good enough.

Arman

Patron

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You can use the suggestions in my screenshot (The i7 uses more power than your setup, but not by enough to matter).

Arman

Patron
You don't need a monitor at all for a FreeNAS box
How would I find the IPMI address initially if I didnt plug the system into a monitor to find it?

danb35

Hall of Famer
How would I find the IPMI address initially if I didnt plug the system into a monitor to find it?
Your router's DHCP status page, or a network scanner app (either on a smartphone or on one of your computers) would do it. But yeah, I guess a monitor could be useful for the very basic setup. If you don't have any other monitor that you can borrow for a little bit, maybe it'd be worth buying one, but it seems like a waste if you aren't going to need it again once the system's running.

Status
Not open for further replies.