Multiple users each with their own folder/share?

qwerty3656

Dabbler
Is there a good tutorial for this? Every time a search for how to set this up, it seems to get glossed over (only 1 user is set up, or multiple users are setup, but access group folders). If I have users A, B, and C and when user A logs into windows, I want them to see just User A share (or folder?), User B just sees User B share (or folder), etc.

Does each User own it's own share? and the group is their own Group? Or is there one group called employees (or family) and each user would be a member of that group but each user would have its own home folder?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Is there a good tutorial for this? Every time a search for how to set this up, it seems to get glossed over (only 1 user is set up, or multiple users are setup, but access group folders). If I have users A, B, and C and when user A logs into windows, I want them to see just User A share (or folder?), User B just sees User B share (or folder), etc.

Does each User own it's own share? and the group is their own Group? Or is there one group called employees (or family) and each user would be a member of that group but each user would have its own home folder?
1) Create a common group for all of your users.
2) Create an SMB share with "user as home share" for the checked.
3) Set an ACL for the share. The group in (1) should be the owner, and you should select the "HOME" ACL preset.

qwerty3656

Dabbler
So I followed your steps.
1) I created a group called "family" and I created 3 users (bob, mary, tom) and say their primary group was family.
2) I created a data set called "family" and a share called "family" and I checked the "user as home share".
3) I set "family" as the owner in ACL.

When I access my freenas IP from windows, I see 2 folders for each user "homes" and their name (e.g. "bob"), but I do not have permission to access, so I edit each user and I set up a home directory in the user (e.g. /mnt/tank/family/bob) and then I can access the folder in Windows. My only problem now is that each user has 2 folders "homes" and their name (e.g. "bob").