Multiple targets on a single FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Krych

Cadet
I am using this as a lab to get more experience with Oracle VM for x86 and FreeNAS as an iSCSI target. The FreeNAS is running as a VM with a 20GB hard drive and a 500GB hard drive. I want to be able to have the Oracle VM Server access multiple targets to a single FreeNAS. I currently have the FreeNAS configured with a single volume of 494GB with 454.5GB free. I have for extents/targets with the first a 50GB and the next three are 125GB. The Oracle VM has connected to the FreeNAS but it only sees the first extent which is 50GB. Is there a way to configure FreeNAS to be a multiple iSCSI target? Unfortunately I am limited to a single ethernet port-for now. If needed, I can created multiple FreeNAS VM's with various storage and access it that way-would that be the only was to have multiple iSCSI targets for my Oracle VM server?

Best,

James

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Multiple targets should work, though the configuration gets progressively trickier as you increase complexity.

James Krych

Cadet
Thanks. I re-did the setup on the FreeNAS VM (running on a headless VirtualBox using Ubuntu server and phpVirtualBox) that had 5 different drives and those were presented correctly. Are there steps to make a single drive have multiple "partitions" on it? So, if I have the hardware for a 1TB+ raid setup, can I present sections of the drive as iSCSI targets?

Best,

James

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
The typical scenario is to create ZFS pool over all disks you have, then create several ZVOLs over that ZFS pool, and then expose those ZVOLs over as many iSCSI targets as you like. FreeNAS WebGUI does not allow to partition disks except creating swap partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.