Resource icon

multi_report.sh version for Core and Scale 3.0

Davvo

MVP
Just today I learned that an idiot is born every day. Thankfully that idiot was not me but someone who works for me.
Gossip, I'm interested.

barny

Dabbler
We are all still learning. I've been around when FreeNAS .7 came out. FreeNAS 8.0 was the iXsystem version. We could edit and compile the source code, making improvements for the community. I stopped compiling when Coral (10) came out and died quickly. The format was not something I wanted to learn. But I still learn because I definitely don't know much either. Just today I learned that an idiot is born every day. Thankfully that idiot was not me but someone who works for me.
Glad to have a great community here.
I second the "idiot is born every day" comment.

DaSnipe

Explorer
Updated my script from 1.6 to 2.4.3 and I feel like the wear leveling is off in the new script

1692416751945.png

Versus 2.4.3

1692416801938.png

The wear leveling is kinda important especially for my apps pool drives but if you need an email dump let me know!

joeschmuck

Old Man
The wear leveling is kinda important especially for my apps pool drives but if you need an email dump let me know!
You are absolutely correct. I've been working on Version 2.4.4 for about a month on and off to fix a few things and it fixes the NVMe Wear Level, well at least on my test runs. After you update to 2.4.4, if you still have a concern, please send me a dump and point out what is specifically wrong so I can verify it. Unfortunately some folks who thought they had 100%, it may drop a bit. And this goes for anyone having a concern/problem, please send me a dump. The worst thing I can say is "I've verified your drives are in bad condition", otherwise I try to be helpful and as I've said many times, I want the script to be as accurate as possible so if you see something, say something. You will not hurt my feelings.

@DaSnipe what email client do you use? The Media Errors block just bug the crap out of me and I think it's a web browser issue, but all the other blocks are formatted properly so I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Disregard: I found it, Gmail.

Fixed! Gmail was just showing the error. I was not setting the background color for this line of data.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Version 2.4.4 is online. I hope to not hear anything, meaning no issues :wink:

But seriously, if you have a problem, reach out and touch someone.

### Changelog:
# V2.4.4 (19 August 2023)
# - Incorporated Spencer.py script by calling the external script.
# - Changed TrueNAS Backup Configuration file name to include the TrueNAS version number.
# - Fixed ability to edit/add Warranty Drive Data so it does not erase previously entered data.
# - Fixed SSD/NVMe Capacity Title in chart.
# - Fixed NVMe Media Errors column display, it now appears centered and has lines around it.
# - Added more Wear Level & TBW compatibility.
# - Updated -h and -help commands.
# - Updated text section 'Drives for this pool' to list non-GPTID entries.

Last edited:

awasb

Patron
Works nice. Thanks, Joe!

DaSnipe

Explorer
You are absolutely correct. I've been working on Version 2.4.4 for about a month on and off to fix a few things and it fixes the NVMe Wear Level, well at least on my test runs. After you update to 2.4.4, if you still have a concern, please send me a dump and point out what is specifically wrong so I can verify it. Unfortunately some folks who thought they had 100%, it may drop a bit. And this goes for anyone having a concern/problem, please send me a dump. The worst thing I can say is "I've verified your drives are in bad condition", otherwise I try to be helpful and as I've said many times, I want the script to be as accurate as possible so if you see something, say something. You will not hurt my feelings.

@DaSnipe what email client do you use? The Media Errors block just bug the crap out of me and I think it's a web browser issue, but all the other blocks are formatted properly so I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Disregard: I found it, Gmail.

Fixed! Gmail was just showing the error. I was not setting the background color for this line of data.

Looks great on 2.4.4 (sorry for the smaller image, stuck on the laptop for tonight!)

1692501416320.png

Thanks again for the great tool!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad it fixed those Wear Level values. I know you wished they were actually all at 100%, sorry about that.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Most people will not even notice the changes unless you have NVMe. I guess that is a good thing. Well except for Spencer integration if they use Spencer.

Time to relax after a long non-stop day at work. Mondays are great! Sometimes.

audinator2

Cadet
First off, Love the scripts, I've been using the original one for years. This new version works even better!

I've got a system that's using multipath, and so each drive shows up as 2 devices, I'm wondering if we can add some logic in the
get_smartHDD_listings proccess to look for unique serial numbers. this would filter out all of the extra drives. Usually this wouldn't be a big deal, but the system has close to 100 drives now.

I'm not great at creating code, but I'd love to help in any way I can.

Davvo

MVP

audinator2

Cadet
That's a major PIA if you want to use the WebUI, apparently.

Can you confirm?
we've had this system for a few years now, and there are some querks, but overall Truenas/freebsd will resolve the multi-path disks no problem. Created the pools using the multipath disks without issue.

joeschmuck

Old Man
First off, Love the scripts, I've been using the original one for years. This new version works even better!

I've got a system that's using multipath, and so each drive shows up as 2 devices, I'm wondering if we can add some logic in the
get_smartHDD_listings proccess to look for unique serial numbers. this would filter out all of the extra drives. Usually this wouldn't be a big deal, but the system has close to 100 drives now.

I'm not great at creating code, but I'd love to help in any way I can.
Thanks for the complement. Just for that I will see if I can fix that little problem. But I'm going to need to see some data. Can you run the script using -dump email in order to send me a dump of your drive SMART information and your configuration (Multi-Report) file. Once I see what you are dealing with then I can figure out if I can address it.

So if you have close to 100 drives (damn that is a lot) does that mean you have 200 drives listed with half being duplicate? I've never used multipath before and I'm not really familiar with it, but I'm hopeful the data provided will provide me the data I need. What I fear is that there will be only one data file per drive if these are by serial number because the script saves the drive type 'HDD/SSD/NVM' and the serial number '1234XYZ'. If this is the case, I may need to make a special code to include the device ID as well. But let's take this one step at a time.

The script is a total mess if you try to read it. I'm getting ready to learn Python so I can rewrite it and hopefully condense it and make it easier to read from a programmer perspective. I have no plan to change the output format since it just works. But if you want to dabble, feel free.

joeschmuck

Old Man
And since I suspect I will get only half the data as it should be presented, I just finished cleaning the garage and I'm working on a special version for you. I will PM you with it. Might take a few minutes to modify.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
@audinator2 I have yet to get any data from you but I had a few minutes and I made some assumptions (that can be dangerous) but here is a "Multipath" TEST version. I'm not sure how many people have multipath or just dual actuator drives but this "should" eliminate duplicate drives with the same serial number. I still need to make a parameter to Enable/Disable this feature because for dual actuator drives, I would assume that if the drive shows up as two drives, you would want to know if there is anything wrong with one of the actuators/heads. I don't have one of these drives so again, assumptions are being made.

Let me repeat myself, this is a test version and seems to run normally on my system and when I fake out a duplicate serial number, it removes that drive from the email output.

I would appreciate feedback, especially from those who would benefit from this type of setup.

Cheers,
-Joe

Attachments

• multi_report_v2.4.4_2023_08_25-special.txt
    357.1 KB · Views: 115

FrankWard

Explorer
I have an SSD boot drive that has a "Last Test Age" of 944 days. I've set SSD_Last_Test_Age="false" and that column doesn't appear in the report, but it still indicates a device warning for this value. Is there a way to ignore this value for this SSD drive?

p.s. - Thanks for the work on this script. I've been using it for about a year now.

audinator2

Cadet
@joeschmuck This testing version is spot on! worked flawlessly the first time. Still fighting the dump because I think it's got too many attachments or too long to pass through the email service. Even with duplicates now removed, it's still not processing. I was able to get it going through gmail instead. I have forwarded it on, You should have it in that mailbox soon.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is there a way to ignore this value for this SSD drive?
Yes and No. You have two ways you can do this, but the best way for your situation is to setup a custom configuration for the one drive and set the Test Age to disable. Also you can restore the ability to display the drive data again.

Custom Configuration (use -config) A -> S and read the instructions carefully. You should be good after that. Let me know if it works or not.