MSI Pro B650m wifi Mobo Problems? **FIXED**

ManQu

Cadet
Using the search feature and getting no results, I decided to post on here.
So I decided to finally build a home pc based server, Rather than purchase a ready made NAS.

Fractal Design 804 case
MSI pro B650 wifi motherboard
AMD 5 7600G
m.2 nvme ssd
and a Corsair RM 750 psu.

I can load and run TrueNAS ok or i can install Windows 11 ok.

My problem arises in the motherboard on post and going into boot doesn't see and pcie
cards i add. one being the LSI 9217-81 or if i add asata 12 port card.
Just to note, the LSI is pcie3 and the MSI is pcie 4 but should be backwards compatable i thought.
The cards were to allow me to add upto 8 HDD's and at the moment i have a £800 brick of a pc.
Tried differing pci slots, differing bios settings but this MSI board has limited settings anyhow.

I am tempted to replace the mobo with another but reluctant till i have had Input from the collective minds
of the TrueNAS forum.

I reused the PSU from an older case the mobo, cpu and SSD were bought new.
Hope i gave enough info for suggestions

Last edited:

ManQu

Cadet
FIXED my issue. It seems, power to the HDD's was being cut. The SATA raid card wasn't detecting the HDD, as a result, The Raid card was ignored by the mobo. My hdd's are from external WD enclousures "White Label" and it seems the 3.3 volt rail need to be disconnected. Most tape the pin but as corsair use wires i just cut the 3.3volt wire.

This is Now, allowing the hdd to be seen by TrueNAS and allows me to set up a raid config. I hope this helps others, forgetting the 3.3volt rail hack in WD "White Label" HDD's.

My next test is to test the LSI9211-8 and see if i can add other hdd's.
3.3v sata delete.png
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-14 at 21.13.45_0eb04b06.jpg

Last edited:

ManQu

Cadet
Swopped out the SATA 12 port raid card for the LSI9211-8, and fired up ok show both drives and configured right. So it was the 3.3volt rail all the time....oh well lesson learned

Etorix

Wizard
Typical issue with HGST drives, and thus also WD-rebranded HGST designs. Good job!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Many of these are available with and without PWDIS. Always check the datasheet and decode the part number!

ManQu

Cadet
Thought id add an update. Now running 5 pools, 2 drives in each mirror. I added a cheepo 13" screen on a hinge to use as and when i do matainiance. Also added a 10gb brocade card to eventually move over to fibre and added a 10gb switch. Still learning and hope this will out last me or last for a long while.
Nas.jpg