Moving FreeNAS (ISCSI) to new Subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike310

Cadet
Hi All,

I was seeding a FreeNas server with an ISCSI connection one one subnet. Once the seeding was complete I moved the server to another subnet in our WAN.

I reconfigured FreeNas for the new subnet as well as the ISCSI for the new subnet. I then reconnected the ISCSI in windows 2012. Now, I can see my drives in Windows but they are reporting as new un-formatted drives. I can see I have data in the storage are of FreeNas GUI so nothing happened to the volumes.

I think I may have does this move wrong.

What would be the proper way to move a FreeNas server from one subnet to another while preserving the ISCSI configuration? Or is there a way to remap by FreeNas volumes to the Windows drives without having to re-seed?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Usually this is due to a different serial number having been assigned in the target, IIRC.

Mike310

Cadet
Were you able to figure this out?
No, I switched to NFS but that still gave me a network not found error even though I could browse the Share. It works locally but when I take the NAS to a sub site, it fails. I am just going to setup another NAS for my remote site and just run replication between the two. Or at least I am going to try that..:)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That sounds more like you have broken networking. There's no share to browse if you're using iSCSI, by the way. It either connects and establishes the iSCSI session, or it doesn't. The correct answer to "does it connect" is important in establishing where to go from here. Check on the NAS to see if connections are being established to :3260 ("netstat -an") and if not, see if you can ping the initiator. If not, fix your networking, and once you've done so, we can work forward from there.

Mike310

Cadet
Well it could have been a broken network with the ISCSI. I moved the ISCSI from one subnet to the other. I did change the IP address when I moved it and tried to reconnect to no avail.

I was browsing a Share when I switched to CIFS and removed the ISCSI. With the Share, I can browse the folders in explorer but Veeam was throwing an error saying there was a problem finding the share when it went to run the backup copy. It does work locally but, when I move the NAS to a different subnet it does not see the share. I can however browse the share from another subnet.

I really think its just a latency issue with Veeam so I am just putting a local NAS next to Veeam and putting a remote NAS at my other location and letting the NAS boxes move backups from one site to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.