Moving files from one disc to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigfarmer44

Cadet
Hi All,

This is my first post here.

My use of Freenas is home networking / media etc.

I had been using Freenas .7 for a couple of years, mainly as a torrent client and music storage.

Recently, after blowing up my old tv, I bought a new LG smart TV with a built in media client called PLEX. I have now set up a server with win 7 and the plex server software to provide media to my tv. ( a bit like my own private Netflix)

I have now built a freenas 8 server, which I am going to use exclusively for music.

The hardware for the two servers is almost the same. HDAMA motherboard (http://www.arimacorp.com/server/Product/ViewDownload.asp?View=HDAMA rev.G) the win 7 machine has 2 dual core 2ghz opterons and 8Gb of ECC ram and the Freenas 8 has 2 single core 2.5Ghz opteron processors and 2Gb of ECC ram. ( I will upgrade freenas 8 to 8Gb of ram in a couple of weeks)

I will install a usb soundcard on the win 7 server and run a long audio lead to my amp ( the servers are upstairs because they are very noisy) . I will then run foobar 2000 on the win server which can be remote controlled with any android device. this will allow me access to all the music without having to have the TV switched on.

OK, So I have the freenas 8 installed. I mounted 2 UFS drives from my freenas .7 and I have installed a drive that I have formatted ZFS. Obviously it would be better if all my drives were ZFS so I am in the process of moving all the files from one of the UFS drives to the new ZFS drive. I could find no way of doing this internally like using the file manager in freenas .7. So I went to one of the windows PCs on the network and did a file transfer there. Moving 226Gb from a UFS to a ZFS is taking 18 hours.

Here's my question; Can I do this copying / moving task from the WebGUI, or is there a way to do it a bit quicker. I still have a Terabyte or more to move.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, why does this forums spellcheck highlight freenas?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Can I do this copying / moving task from the WebGUI

no, not really

or is there a way to do it a bit quicker

use the command line and the unix "cp" command

BTW, why does this forums spellcheck highlight freenas?

because the forum doesn't have a "spellcheck" and you haven't taught your browser's spell checking dictionary the word "freenas."

pigfarmer44

Cadet
Thanks for the reply.

So I could use the cp command in the command line in the WebGUI, and could I then turn off the windows PC in which I was using the WebGUI while the files were moving / copying.

Sorry for sounding stoopid, but how would I know when the file copy process had finished?

I assume that there is no file manager plugin, perhaps I should suggest it in the plugins thread.

Thanks for the tip about my browser having the spellcheck rather than the website. It never occurred to me that this was the case. ;)

warri

Guru
Use rsync instead of cp. You could redirect the rsync output to a file and check the contents regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.