Moving Drives from One Server to Another

mmoo9154

Cadet
There are a number of posts about migrating data from one server to another, but I'm asking if there is a way to move the physical disks between two servers.

I face a 24 bay PowerEdge R730XD that I setup with the first drive being the TrueNAS boot disk and swapfile. I've recently purchased a 2TD M.2 NVMe SSD that I'm able to use as the boot drive and swapfile, but I don't have any convenient way to have both configurations booted at the same time in order to transfer the folders/datasets between them.

I can see that the storage drives are definitely visible when I've booted under the NVMe image, but I'm not sure what the right way is to go about importing/adopting the storage drives into the new instance of the NAS without losing the data.

Is this even possible?

NugentS

MVP
Yes - just import the pool
Disks/Import Pool

davidbdeath

Dabbler
I have a old Mac Pro based TrueNas server and I want to move the OS and data drives to a newer machine. It can't be as simple as moving the drives from one machine to another is it? Is there anything I should be aware of?

NugentS

MVP
It is that simple. Install OS, upload config file and you should be good to go.

davidbdeath

Dabbler
I appricaite the quick reply. Instead of installing a fresh copy of the OS, can I simply move the OS drive? I have a few jails running, but nothing major. I'm concerned that using a different NIC will cause a hiccup.

Evertb1

Guru
I appricaite the quick reply. Instead of installing a fresh copy of the OS, can I simply move the OS drive? I have a few jails running, but nothing major. I'm concerned that using a different NIC will cause a hiccup.
If the NIC on your new machine is supported, installing a fresh copy of the OS is your best bet. I have done that in the past (with FreeNAS and TrueNAS) and never had a problem with it. You can be up and running in less then 30 minutes. Your saved config file is your best friend. Just do as @NugentS advised.

davidbdeath

Dabbler
If the NIC on your new machine is supported, installing a fresh copy of the OS is your best bet. I have done that in the past (with FreeNAS and TrueNAS) and never had a problem with it. You can be up and running in less then 30 minutes. Your saved config file is your best friend. Just do as @NugentS advised.
30 minutes plus the time it will take to ship the drive. The IT professional in me agrees. I was just hoping I could avoid buying a new drive since it's just for my home server.

chuck32

Guru
If you moved the drive you'd decommission the old hardware anyway for now.
Why can't you install the OS freshly on that drive instead of moving it?

davidbdeath

Dabbler
If you moved the drive you'd decommission the old hardware anyway for now.
Why can't you install the OS freshly on that drive instead of moving it?
I'm embarrassed to say, I didn't even think of that. It's kind of obvious not that you've said it.