Moving bhyve config files

Freestila

Cadet
Hello. I have two pools. One with 4 HDD discs, Datenmonster. Another is one SSD drive, Homeroom.
I tried creating all my jails and vm machines on the SSD Homeroom pool, and at least as far as i can see this has worked. I want to power / spin down my hdd discs when they are not in use.

But i have on my hdd pool under mnt/Datenmonster/.bhyve_containers/configs twi directories for two jails, with a device.map file in each folder. These files have an entry pointing to mnt/Homeroom/ folders.

I'm not completely shure if these configs are still needed, but since some process still accesses the Datenmonster, i suspect these two directories.

Any idea how to move these configs, or where they are configured? Any way to see which file is accessed on the pool to make it spin up again?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Where is your system dataset? it's much more likely to be that.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
/mnt/Datenmonster/.bhyve_containers is used for VMs, not jails. It's created automatically by the Docker host VM in FreeNAS versions 11.0-11.2. If you're not running VMs, it's OK to remove the dataset, but you'll have to do it manually in shell, as this won't show up in the Storage GUI.

Freestila

Cadet
Where is your system dataset? it's much more likely to be that.
System / FREEBSD is on a USB drive.

/mnt/Datenmonster/.bhyve_containers is used for VMs, not jails.
I have two vms. For one, the path in device.map is the one of the vm disc image, for the other one it is incorrect. Both vm should run on the SSD. Where can i configure where Freenas will store VM configs?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
How did you configure your VMs? If you used the GUI, the VM config is in the system DB, in the system dataset. (Look under System->System Dataset.) If you hand-built them using iohyve or some other CLI tool, they'll be wherever you directed iohyve to store them as command-line parameters.

Freestila

Cadet
How did you configure your VMs? If you used the GUI, the VM config is in the system DB, in the system dataset. (Look under System->System Dataset.) If you hand-built them using iohyve or some other CLI tool, they'll be wherever you directed iohyve to store them as command-line parameters.
I did use the webgui. And yeah, system dataset was on datenmonster. I have changed that, and now it works :) Thanks :)