Moving all data from one pool to another

So I recently switched from having FreeNAS installed on 3 HDDs in raid to putting it on 2 USBs in raid 1. but now I have 3 drive bays open and want to add more 3TB drives in its place. But i want to move all the data off the existing pool in a different one so can add the 3 drives to the HP Smart Array Controller (Unfortunately it doesn't have a JBOD mode. only 1, 5, 6, 0, 50, 60) the temp pool is large enough to hold all the data in the mean time. all i have to do is move everything over. how would i go about that? I've read posts about snapshots and data replication but all of those posts refer to moving to another server, not just a different pool.

To make it short:
all data on BigPoll needs to be moved to EXTPool on the same server while hopefully keeping all Jails running

See image for Pool details (Also I am aware it says 'Poll')
Annotation 2019-07-03 190300.png

FreeNAS Version: FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1

melloa

Wizard
In short you are not using all resources available on ZFS with your pools controlled by that HP raid card. I just got a dl380e G8 working with a LSI card flashed to IT mode, so that's my recommendation: Get your disks on another HBA and create the new pool using ZFS.

Also, the utilization of external USB drivers is not recommended. They can be disconnected, the disks are not NAS grade, etc.

I'd rethink your setup or switch to something like linux to use the existing hardware. Nothing wrong with that. I did setup a server for a friend with some Gen 8 and HP controller with ubuntu and he's happy. (Work my way to get him a decent server now, hence my tests with the above mentioned dl360e ;)

Your data, your choice ;)

I do understand that the external drives are not Nas rated, but it's only for a few hours. Till I can make a new logical drive on the Smart Array Controller. But regardless new hba card or not, I still need to move the pool off the current one. How would I go about doing that?

Edit: if you could link me a hba card that can support 12 drives from a HP Dl180 G6 that would be great. Also having an external connection for a JBOD encloser would be nice to since I'm getting on of thos soon ish

MikeyG

Patron
You can't move the pool, but you can copy the dataset on the pool with snapshots and zfs send/receive.

Create a snapshot, then zfs send -Rv BigPoll/snapshotname | zfs receive EXTPool/datasetname