Moved from 8.2.0 to 9.2.1.8, have issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

atrdriver

Dabbler
I updated in about 10 steps from 8.2.0 to 9.2.1.8, using the built in firmware update. I can still see my windows CIFS shares, but I am having problems with jails. I can't add a jail, and my minidnla server plugin won't start because it says it can't find the previous jail. I also can't delete the minidnla plugin because it can't find the jail.

My question is, if I get a new USB drive and do a fresh install of 9.2.1.8 on it, will that clear the problems I'm having with the jails, and if so will I be able to import my current ZFS data pool into it so I don't lost the data that exists on it now. The data on it is backups from other machines, and if I have to start over I can' but those backups take about 24 hours each to complete, so I don't want to have to redo them if I don't have to.

Ultimately I am attempting to install owncloud to run under the FreeNAS.

Sorry, I am not an expert on FreeNAS at all.

Thanks in advance.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you have a jail from 8.x, it's not compatible with 9.x. The proper way to upgrade from 8.x to 9.x was to delete all jails, upgrade, then recreate all of your jails.

There's a hacky way to remove your jail entries from the FreeNAS config file, but it was so long ago you're going to have to spend some time searching to find the steps to do it.

atrdriver

Dabbler
If I just started over with a new USB stick as the boot drive could I recover my current data? That seems like it would be easier than a linux noob playing around with the config file. And if I am about to retrieve the data, would that get rid of the issue and just leave the volume that has my data on it?

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If I just started over with a new USB stick as the boot drive could I recover my current data? That seems like it would be easier than a linux noob playing around with the config file. And if I am about to retrieve the data, would that get rid of the issue and just leave the volume that has my data on it?

Thanks

Of course you can start with a clean config file. You can mount the old pool and be on your merry way.

You will have to reconfigure everything from scratch, though.

atrdriver

Dabbler
Well I figure worst case if I try doing it that way it wouldn't corrupt the data in the ZFS pool, and I could always go back to what I am running right now if necessary, is that correct?

I figure I screwed things up pretty good in the upgrade, and this might be a way to sort at least that part out.

thanks again!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well I figure worst case if I try doing it that way it wouldn't corrupt the data in the ZFS pool, and I could always go back to what I am running right now if necessary, is that correct?

I figure I screwed things up pretty good in the upgrade, and this might be a way to sort at least that part out.

thanks again!

You won't be able to return to pre 9.2.1 versions after upgrading your pool, so avoid doing so until you're sure you want to stay.

atrdriver

Dabbler
Well it's currently on 9.2.1.8, after the GUI updating, and I can still see all the files on the CIFS shares. Will this affect them just reconfiguring with a new install of the same version? I'm happy with the new version, it's just that I can't do anything involving jails right now.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well it's currently on 9.2.1.8, after the GUI updating, and I can still see all the files on the CIFS shares. Will this affect them just reconfiguring with a new install of the same version? I'm happy with the new version, it's just that I can't do anything involving jails right now.

You'll have to reconfigure shares, but data will not be lost. Permissions will, but those changed with 9.2.1.6 anyway, so they'd need work.

atrdriver

Dabbler
OK Thanks. I hope this works :) Assuming I can ever get the .img file burned onto my USB stick.

messerchmidt

Explorer
My experience was as follows: I had a screw up when I upgraded from 8.2x to 9.2x where CIFS service would not start.

Had to put in another drive, use the FTP service to copy everything over, then delete the raid-z and recreate it, then copy everything back.

Status
Not open for further replies.