Move ZFS array to new motherboard/cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssingleton

Cadet
Hi all,

Been using a supermicro atom cpu based board which is now dead. I have a copy of my Freenas 8 config file can anyone assist or point me towards a guide.

Could it be as simple as connecting drives to new board and resintalling and then loading config file and will it matter if i use amd or stick with intel

lrusak

Explorer
I swapped motherboards and CPU's before. It's a matter of keeping the sata connections respective to their correct ports. I had disk 3 & 4 mixed up the first time and it said the array was degraded, but I swapped the connections and it was fine

ssingleton

Cadet
Sounds straight forward. The boot still boots and freenas boots however it now takes forever to detect disks and when it has booted freenas transfer speed is crap. I've done a clean out for dust, a reinstall and a reinstall to a newer version so want to try new hardware next.

Thanks

ingentech

Cadet
I decided to report my experience changing my FreeNAS config over to new hardware so others can avoid the pitfalls I plummeted into. If you are using link aggregation, and from what I experienced different network hardware, you are best served by removing the link aggregation and using a removable NIC for the migration. I could not get the configuration to accept the different hardware NICs as usable interfaces, even though it claimed to. I set my webGUI to the addon NIC and after migration recreated the link aggregation and all was fine. I did mix up my sata connections on the HDDs, but that didn't seem to have any negative affects. Also on an aside, I was not able to use the 8.0.3 p1 amd64 cd to install, which I will report on the bugs thread, errors on any cdrom device connected that caused the installer to throw up, but install of 8.0 and upgrade to 8.0.3 with the same disk was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.