Move Users Home Dir

Status
Not open for further replies.

furicle

Dabbler
Hi All

I've outgrown my original one disk set up, so I installed a port multiplier card and an external drive box.
(FreeNAS 8.3.0)

I used zfs send | recv to copy the data to the new drive array, and repointed the file shares to the new external array.

Now I want to pull that internal single drive. Everything system related should be on the USB stick AFAIK, so I thought the only remaining reference to the internal drive is the couple of local users home directories.

When I try to alter that path with the 'modify users' option, it always errors with Home Directory Mode This field required - when that field is filled in? I don't get what it's trying to say.

freeNasError.png

Someone clue me in?

And is there anything else I need to look at before I pull that drive?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will warn you that port multipliers are STRONGLY discouraged. We've had a few users kill their pools using them. Proceed at your own risk.

furicle

Dabbler
I will warn you that port multipliers are STRONGLY discouraged. We've had a few users kill their pools using them. Proceed at your own risk.

Well, the hardware I got is the hardware I got, and the budget I ain't got....

Any details on what/where/why the problems may occur?

And any ideas whether `pw usermod fred -d /mnt/newPathHome` from the shell will play nice with freenas?

Dusan

Guru
And any ideas whether `pw usermod fred -d /mnt/newPathHome` from the shell will play nice with freenas?
Probably not as the user's home directory is also stored in the config DB (account_bsdusers table).

furicle

Dabbler
Probably not as the user's home directory is also stored in the config DB (account_bsdusers table).

Darn. So figuring out the odd error is my only real fix then. I wish I could tell if I'm being stupid or it is...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The problem with port multipliers is they are typically made by the lowest bidder. So when reliability and performance are concerns, you get what you pay for. Port multipliers are nothing more than "the poor man's SAS expander".

Dusan

Guru
Darn. So figuring out the odd error is my only real fix then. I wish I could tell if I'm being stupid or it is...
I tried to reproduce the problem in VM:
  1. Create a pool
  2. Create a user and set his home directory to a directory in that pool
  3. Destroy the pool and create a new one (different name)
  4. Try to change the home directory to the new pool
It just works in 9.1.1. Maybe you are encountering an issue that was already fixed.

furicle

Dabbler
Thank you for looking at this, appreciate your time!

I haven't destroyed the pool. My plan was to change the home directory first, then yank that single drive and put it in a case for an offsite backup.
Figured that way I didn't have to recopy the bulk of the data.

Off to skim the change log...

Status
Not open for further replies.