Move user configuration, directories, and data to new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

atob37

Cadet
I am running a FreeNAS installation with 2TB of storage, primary use is for an FTP server for clients to send video files. It is on an older machine and I want to move it over to a new one with all new drives, etc. I need to be able to save my user configuration list and move it to the new build, which shouldn't be a problem (standard config save/import), but is it possible to just move the user directories to another server temporarily, stick in some new drives, build a new pool, and then copy the old directory tree back to the new pool? Would the saved configuration automatically recognize the directory tree if the path name is the same, and apply the same permissions, etc.? I haven't been able to figure this out from the forums... Thanks so much for the reply! I am loving FreeNAS so far, it has been a real lifesaver so far.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If I understand correctly, you should be able to do what you want with a combination of save/restore config and replication of a snapshot of the dataset that holds the directories. I think replication is more likely to be successful, in terms of ownership and permissions, than any other copying method. The target for the replication could be as simple as a single disk pool, or a mirror, or the new box.

If you take this approach you will need to read the man pages for zfs send and zfs recv.

Status
Not open for further replies.