Move existing RAIDZ config to new hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troby

Cadet
I'm currently running 8.0 release on 32bit Intel hardware with 4 SATA drives in RAIDZ, 2 on MB ports and 2 on a PCI Promise controller. I am planning to build a new system using 8.0.3 when it comes out, on new 64bit AMD hardware with onboard SATA (AMD SB700). Can I save the current configuration and reinstall it on the new hardware, assuming I get the drives installed in the same order as they appear on the existing system? Do I need to do an "export" in addition to a "configuration backup" ?

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm currently running 8.0 release on 32bit Intel hardware with 4 SATA drives in RAIDZ, 2 on MB ports and 2 on a PCI Promise controller. I am planning to build a new system using 8.0.3 when it comes out, on new 64bit AMD hardware with onboard SATA (AMD SB700). Can I save the current configuration and reinstall it on the new hardware, assuming I get the drives installed in the same order as they appear on the existing system? Do I need to do an "export" in addition to a "configuration backup" ?

Yes, you can save/restore your configuration and reinstall it on the new hardware.

Yes, you should export your pool first, before you move everything.

You shouldn't need to worry about the order of the disks, they each have a label/signature that allows ZFS to import them correctly even if they're not in the same order.

You will probably need to do an Auto-Import of your pool on the new hardward because the controller will be different and if you save your config on the old machine before you export your pool, then when you restore your settings the device info could be wrong in the database, ie. ata0 instead of ada0.... THAT will confuse FreeNAS, but your pool will be fine. Just export your pool first, then backup your setttings or do a backup before & after exporting.

Don't stress, everything should go smoothly.

troby

Cadet
Thanks for your quick response. I'm still unclear about how to do the export. In 8.0 Release, I see a "Destroy Volume" button but no export. If I select this button, does it give me a follow-on page which allows me to export vs destroy?

warri

Guru
I think the export button was introduced in a later version.

So you have to export via the CLI:
Simply type zpool export <pool> to export the pool.

troby

Cadet
I thought I read on another thread that using the CLI alone would get the config database out of sync. Should I do the CLI export first and then the Destroy Volume in the GUI?

troby

Cadet
Or maybe I'd be better off upgrading the existing 8.0 Release 32bit system to 8.0.3 RC1 32bit, then do the export via the GUI, and then move the drives to the new 64bit hardware when 8.0.3 release comes out?

warri

Guru
If you backup your config, export the zpool and reinstall a new FreeNAS version from scratch and then import back your config it should work fine (maybe you need to auto-import existing zpools then).
Destroying your volume via the GUI might destroy your data as well in 8.0-RELEASE.

But upgrading to 8.0.3-RELEASE and exporting then should also work.

Status
Not open for further replies.