Mountpoint gone after restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

sybreeder

Explorer
Hello

I have FreeNAS 9.1.1 at the moment installed in my virtual environment based on ESXi 5.1 with passthrough 6 drives - 5x2tb and 1x3tb. I wanted to create raidz2 pool but because of different size disks i couldn't do that bu gui. So i did it by hand. Pool created successfully(i used zpool with -f)
Then i found that id didn't shows on the gui. I looked on the web and did import.Import went succesfuly and i have access to the pool. Unfortunately everytime when i restart system there is a problem with mountpoint. - there is no folder in /mnt/... that should be related to the pool.
ilZHJu0.png

That problem was not exist when i created pool from gui. what needs to be done to keep that pool after restart ?
Thanks in advance.

Dusan

Guru
That problem was not exist when i created pool from gui. what needs to be done to keep that pool after restart ?
Briefly boot to FreeNAS 8.3.2, create the pool there and then upgrade back to 9.1.1.

sybreeder

Explorer
Heh... I can't now just like that delete whole pool and start fresh. I have too much data copied already. It needs to be other option than that. That pool has over 1TB of data now.

What if i import that pool to freenas 8.3 and then upgrade to 9.1.1 ? Will it work ?

Dusan

Guru
Did you try to use the Auto Import Volume function/button after restart?
Also, what exact command(s) did you use to create the pool? Did you create swap partitions? glabels? does the pool use gptids? If not, then you should really consider destroying the pool and creating it properly.

sybreeder

Explorer
Did you try to use the Auto Import Volume function/button after restart?
Also, what exact command(s) did you use to create the pool? Did you create swap partitions? glabels? does the pool use gptids? If not, then you should really consider destroying the pool and creating it properly.

I used Auto Import Volume every time.
I've restarted server and destroyed mountpoint and then reimport it.

I didn't create swap,glabels nor gptids.
My previous pool however was using gptid.I deleted previous pool from gui with option to mark drives as new.
oPVTI0i.png

98UODoF.png

I used command
Code:
zpool create -f /mnt/ZFS ZFS da1 da2 da3 da4 da5 da6

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Heh... I can't now just like that delete whole pool and start fresh. I have too much data copied already. It needs to be other option than that. That pool has over 1TB of data now.

What if i import that pool to freenas 8.3 and then upgrade to 9.1.1 ? Will it work ?

Hate to break it to you but you should delete the pool and start fresh. This is an unfortunate truth with 9.x that the volume manager isn't as powerful as the 8.x volume manager. If you had done some looking around you'd have noticed that we always recommend 8.3 for making pools, then upgrade to 9.x so that the pools are properly created in FreeNAS(assuming the 9.x volume manager won't do what you want). If you don't do it from the GUI there are possible problems that cannot be fixed without destroying the pool.

In your case, your pool uses the entire disk. FreeNAS *should* work fine with it, but the expectation is you will use partitions just as the GUI does. Some people have had very unfortunate situations as a result of using the CLI when the GUI should be doing the work. The CLI should be a VERY last ditch effort to do things and should be done only as a VERY last resort and with the expectation that you could potentially break things both now and in the future. In 8.x alot of people created pools from the CLI and other programs, then when installing 9.1.0 it would never recognize their pools.

Sorry, but I have no better advice except to destroy and recreate the pool. Been an issue since 9.1.0 beta and its still not fixed... https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3274 Just not enough pushback to make it a priority. Take heed that even if you can fix it with this version there's no guarantee it will be "all okay" in future versions. Better to stick with the designed and expected configuration than to do your own. If you feel compelled to do your own or are unhappy with something FreeNAS is doing you have 2 solid choices: Do it yourself and accept responsibility for any future problems or try full fledged FreeBSD.

Sorry. :(

sybreeder

Explorer
Well that sucks...But in this case in think that you're right - i need to create that pool from scratch. I'll create second pool with another 2 tb drives and through zfs replication i hope that i'll successfully copy all data from one pool to another.
In the meantime i tried to start FreeNAS 8.3 but i had trouble with compatibility with LSI 9211 driver. FreeNAS stuck at boot. So i'll have to look in to that.
By the way..is it worth to use regular 10k SAS drive as L2ARC ? It's hp 72GB. FreeNAS itself has 8gb of ram so i'm not sure if it is worth to bother.

cyberjock thank you for such a insight and detailed information

cyberjock

Inactive Account
By the way..is it worth to use regular 10k SAS drive as L2ARC ? It's hp 72GB. FreeNAS itself has 8gb of ram so i'm not sure if it is worth to bother.

Personally, I wouldn't. SSDs made 10k drives virtually obsolete. An order of magnitude smaller on latency and MUCH higher read and write speeds made high RPM drives just about useless.

I used to love my 15kRPM Seagate Cheetah SCSI drive back in the day. /sniff

Status
Not open for further replies.