Mounting PSU Upside Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

holi_holi

Cadet
Hi, need some input whether this is safe and a viable option.

I am currently doing my first FreeNAS build for myself which is a 4 drive setup in a node 304, the PSU im using for this build is a Seasonic SS-350ET 350W. The issue I'm having is the SATA power cables won't reach the the hdd's as the cables arent long enough, but when I mount the PSU upside down the cables reach fine. Thing is now the PSU's fan is facing the hdd's and also the PSU is about 1mm to low to reach a mount screw which secures the PSU into place (was thinking of using a thin sheet of plastic under the PSU to fix that issue).

Would prefer to do this rather then shell out more £ for another PSU.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
PSU is about 1mm to low to reach a mount screw which secures the PSU into place
It's not correctly in place then. Most chassis and PSUs include two sets of mounting holes to allow for whatever orientation you need.

Stux

MVP
Must be very short Sata power cables :-/

The PSU is literally installed directly underneath the HDs.

index.php

Last edited:

rvassar

Guru
I think it'd be much cheaper to just buy SATA power extension cables.

Or break out the soldering iron & heat shrink tubing...

holi_holi

Cadet

holi_holi

Cadet
One more thing is, will there be a big temperature difference if now the PSU's fan is directely under the hdd's and is that a risk in itself?

the PSU im using for this build is a Seasonic SS-350ET 350W.

Are you sure you've got the correct model number there? Every image search I do for the "Seasonic SS-350ET" returns a non-modular PSU with multi coloured non-ribbon, unsleeved cables. Where as the SATA cable in the picture you posted has all black, ribbon cables.

One more thing is, will there be a big temperature difference if now the PSU's fan is directely under the hdd's and is that a risk in itself?

It depends on the PSU. Some PSUs kick out more heat than others but having said that, if Fractal Design allow mounting the PSU with the fan at the top, then there's a good chance it'll be safe but worst case scenario... run the system for a while and monitor the HDD temps. HDDs are happiest at temperatures between mid 30's to low 40's degrees C. As long as the HDDs don't stay above the mid 40's C on a regular basis when the system is under load, you should be fine.

holi_holi

Cadet
Are you sure you've got the correct model number there? Every image search I do for the "Seasonic SS-350ET" returns a non-modular PSU with multi coloured non-ribbon, unsleeved cables. Where as the SATA cable in the picture you posted has all black, ribbon cables.

It depends on the PSU. Some PSUs kick out more heat than others but having said that, if Fractal Design allow mounting the PSU with the fan at the top, then there's a good chance it'll be safe but worst case scenario... run the system for a while and monitor the HDD temps. HDDs are happiest at temperatures between mid 30's to low 40's degrees C. As long as the HDDs don't stay above the mid 40's C on a regular basis when the system is under load, you should be fine.

That wasn't my picture lol, it was another members who has the same case and also who I am using as a reference to my build.

I'm running it and temps seem to be idling at 28C, mind you room temp is 19C right now but does get hot when it is hot here in the UK as we got no AC's (should be perfectly fine for the winter as room will only get colder)

Status
Not open for further replies.