Mounting from zfs failed with error 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

medved

Cadet
Hello!

There was power outage. After that FreeNAS does not starting (shows both in normal and verbose mode)

Bmch4L8.jpg

RAID configuration is Ok, all disks are online

Qil1Q3t.jpg

I've only found this topic https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/workaround-semi-fix-for-mountroot-issues-with-9-3.26071 but I have no usb sticks - system installed on 250 GB partition

styno

Patron
The setup you've used (hardware raid backend) is not recommended at all and has caused many issues for other people as well. The best way forward is to redesign the system and restore the data from a backup. If you do so, please create a post to validate your setup before restoring the data. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this board willing to help setup your system.

If you don't have a backup of the data I guess the best way forward is to reinstall on a USB stick, import your old config file and recover the data from there. You still need to redesign the system at this point to make sure your data is safe in the future.

If you don't have a backup of your config file and still want some people to have a look and suggest on possible further steps to take, it's best to give a detailed overview of your hardware & setup. But to be honest, if you reach this point, it's not looking good.

medved

Cadet
Thanks for reply. Any RAID not recommended, am I correctly understand?

styno

Patron
That is correct.

styno

Patron
It means all sorts of "external" raid (and especially software/fake-raid). ZFS works best if it has direct access to the individual disks.

medved

Cadet
Ok.
Tell me, please, how I can create, for example 10 or 20 TB array without RAID?

styno

Patron

danb35

Hall of Famer
It means hardware RAID of software RAID too?
The problem is hardware RAID controllers. What these do is make the RAID set appear to the OS like a single disk. The problems with this are (1) ZFS wants to control the disks directly, which it can't do if it can't see them; and (2) since the OS can't see the individual disks, it can't monitor them or check them for problems. I'd expect the vast majority of FreeNAS users are using RAID, but it's ZFS RAID managed through FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.