Mount point advice in Plex

NasKar

Guru
I wanted to be able to replicate one of my media directories homemovies without the other media directories. My directory structure is

media/videos/homevideos
media/videos/tvshows
media/videos/movies
media/photos
media/music

I my initial setup was the the media directory was a dataset, then I would have to replicate the entire media dataset.
So I renamed videos to videos2, then created a dataset videos and moved the files from videos2 to videos

In order for the plex jail to see the files under the video dataset I have to mount the video dataset to the jail. The files can now be seen in the jail but plex won't let me navigate to the folder media/videos/homevideos. It stops at media/videos.

Can you not use nested datasets with plex?
Do I have to change videos back to a regular directory, leaving only media as a dataset?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Each dataset has to be mounted inside the jail. Jails can't access nested datasets. Same thing happens with sharing via nfs/smb.

NasKar

Guru
Jails can't access nested datasets.
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Will have to change videos from a dataset back to a regular directory.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Will have to change videos from a dataset back to a regular directory.
You can a just mount it inside the other dataset in the jail. That way you get the same structure

NasKar

Guru
When I mounted for example /mnt/v1/media/videos to /mnt/media in the jail it would show the files in /mnt/media/videos/tvshows but plex would not browse beyond /mnt/media/videos/ when adding a library.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When I mounted for example /mnt/v1/media/videos to /mnt/media in the jail it would show the files in /mnt/media/videos/tvshows but plex would not browse beyond /mnt/media/videos/ when adding a library.
Oo that's a permission problem then. Everyone handles that different but double check your methods for permissions.