mount freenas to freenas -> strange characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

txsastre

Cadet
Hi there.

I've got 2 freenas, one with 7.2 version and 8.2 version

I want to copy files from 7.2 to 8.2, I shared via CIFS (samba) a folder. When I acces to this folder with windows or linux I can see it perfect so I can create files and/or folders with special characters (í, á, à, ç ... )and there is no problem at all.

but, when I connect to the 7.2 via ssh, mount the shared folder in 8.2, and start to copy from 7 to 8, I can see that there's an error there so the special characters become to strange characters.

If I use a PC as a "bridge" between the 2 NAS, everything is fine. But I want to copy from NAS to NAS, because they are connected to a 1GB Ethernet switch I want to speed the copy.

Both CIFS configuration ara set to UTF-8

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know how you might be able to fix your issue, so here's a few other ideas I have...

1. FTP the files from the old to new server
2. Try NFS
3. Try doing the connection without ssh(unless you need the security)
4. Try going the other way. Try connecting to the 8.2 via the 7.2

Perhaps someone else actually knows what's wrong. If I were in your shoes I'd try those other options above and hope one of them will work. FTP would be my first try since I'm familiar with it.

txsastre

Cadet
1-ftp, if i use an ftp I suposse that I cannot connect NAS to NAS, I will need an 3er PC to copy files
2- not tested yet.
3-if I use the NAS to connect to another NAS, how can I do if not using SSH ?
4- tried now. when I try to connect to 8 to 7 ... it crashed !!... reset needed :(

a few new discovers.

From PC (linux one) I can create folders/files with special characters, and also I can do it with the console in 7 version, everythin OK.

If I do the same with 8 version, I can see correctly the folders from de PC, but there are strange characters if I see what I've created via console SSH. But, from console, when I try to write "ñ,ç,à,€..." it does not write anything ! I can't write those chars...

Problem is within v8, somewhere...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
1. Setup one as an FTP server. Then log into the server from the other machine with the ftp command.
3. Not sure. I've never tried to do it myself. I'd have to do some research.

Of course, now that you've kind of figured out the problem being with v8 I think you should look into fixing it before you try copying files. Going to check out the manual real fast. I know the special characters can cause issues and there's special settings for them.

Edit: Did you try changing the UNIX charset or DOS charset in the CIFS properties?

Edit again: After I asked the above question I realized it's probably not CIFS since you had problems with the SSH console. I seem to remember there being a setting for ZFS which you had set to get special characters in ZFS pool. Maybe I am mistaken.

txsastre

Cadet
hi, thanks for your help.

I've been searching and I found this.

I assume that the problem is in the console(FREENAS8), so I set the console keyboard with this instructions

setenv LANG en_US.UTF-8
setenv MM_CHARSET en_US.UTF-8

and now I can write special caracters as well as I see correctly via linux and viceversa.

but when I connect v7 to v8... still same problemes... when I create a directory from console in 7 to a share.

I think I gonna copy the files using a PC in the middle (FS7-PC-FS8) and hopping that its a bug (or feature) in this special situation.

Then I will upgrade FS7 to FS8.

(don't want to waste more time with this particular problem)

Thank you ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.