Motherboard on the fritz

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavageAUS

Patron
Ok so lately ever since I transplanted from my old case to the define r5 I have been having issues with my server not staying on. It will power up and then shutdown instantly or stay up for a while then shut off instantly which is obviously not good. I have tried 3 different power supplies and all do the same thing ( 2 x 550w & 1 x 800w) so I’m kinda thinking the motherboard (in signature) is having some issues (old case used to apply pressure to 24pin from the way the case was made and the motherboards placement of the 24pin). My question is how can I diagnose if it’s the main board or maybe memory or cpu without installing another operating system. I’m not sure on the availability of supermicro boards in Australia but I have found this board ASUS P10S-X. Has anyone used one of these? Or should I try to find a supermicro board for my cpu and memory? Like this one? Supermicro X11SSH-LN4 but I’m not sure on if my memory is compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pschatz100

Guru
Before assuming that your motherboard is bad, I would carefully check the installation. It is possible that there is a short somewhere such as a loose screw that might have got lost or a standoff that is touching something it should not. Perhaps you can remove the board from the case and power it up to see if the behavior is any different.

SavageAUS

Patron
Before assuming that your motherboard is bad, I would carefully check the installation. It is possible that there is a short somewhere such as a loose screw that might have got lost or a standoff that is touching something it should not. Perhaps you can remove the board from the case and power it up to see if the behavior is any different.
Yeah I’ll check that tomorrow. I’m pretty sure all standoffs are in place and all screws were snug.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also, be sure to remove all non-essentials, such as disks and all but one DIMM (and try different ones and different sockets).

SavageAUS

Patron
Also, be sure to remove all non-essentials, such as disks and all but one DIMM (and try different ones and different sockets).
I have actually had my machine up and running since this issue was posted without any hardware changes or swap outs but im not holding my breath and will take your advice next time it plays up and keep you posted.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I personnaly like the idea of removing the motherboard from the case, then inspect the case to make sure there no extra motherboard standoffs which could be shorting out the motherboard, or in other words, each standoff has a corrisponding hole in the motherboard and there are no unused ones. Hey, this does happen. Ensure that you didn't overtighten the motherboard screws. Reseat the RAM. If you removed the CPU during your move from the old case then that too is suspect.

I hope your problem is fixed but for it to just magically go away, well I couldn't live with that unless I could say that I did something to correct it.

SavageAUS

Patron
So I finally managed to make time to shut down and pull the motherboard out. To my disbelief there a was standoff installed where it wasn’t needed so I took it out, reinstalled everything and it booted up first go without issue and hasn’t played up since.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Amazing how that works. Glad it was an easy fix and that you didn't damage your motherboard in the process of all this. You should run the CPU and RAM burn-in tests for the heck of it to prove that you don't have another issue. I won't tell you that it will test out whatever was being shorted but there isn't much more you could do. or you could just run your system and if you start having issues, suspect the motherboard first unless it's obviously something else.

SavageAUS

Patron
Yeah it is but I’m glad it was a (fingers crossed) simple fix. Forgive me but I’m unsure of the process of a cpu and ram burn in. I am however running my system with pools detached just in case. So far 3:31 uptime. I’ll recheck uptime in the morning.
But yes a big thanks for pointing out the obvious (misplaced standoff).
@pschatz100

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

SavageAUS

Patron
22:44 uptime so far without a hitch.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Your system will likely be fine now (fingers crossed).

SavageAUS

Patron
Your system will likely be fine now (fingers crossed).
Yeah considering I’m at 2 days 5:54 I think it’s ok now. Probably didn’t need to buy a new power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.