More noob questions

Rockit

Cadet
Hey Ya'll,
I have a small business and need a file server and I would like to consider TrueNAS
Up till recently I was running FreeNAS and pretty happy with it although I did have an issue when someone deleted a folder and I could not recover it.
Lesson learned about not having snapshots set up.
Why switch? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that TrueNAS is more of a file server without all the things I don't need such as media server?
Also, I have a big problem with FreeNAS. Seems it wants to be the master browser and will not give up that role so I end up with two master browsers on the network. I'm not 100% sure but I think that is what is causing my problem with the network.

Network problem:
I have a machine shop and my machines are all connected to the local network. I can design a part, make the CAM for it then post out the G-code and save it directly to the machine. The machines are running Linux based controllers and need SMB for communications. With the FreeNAS box connected I can't access the machines as normal. I select the mapped drive and it takes around 2 minutes of clicking to finally get it to allow me access. This lasts about 20 minutes then I have to go through that again to get connected. When I'm in the final stages of polishing up the code, I may have to make small tweeks for an hour or more to get it right. The 2 minute wait is very frustrating.
When I unplug the NAS box, it's back to normal with super fast access.
I've tried the tricks. Turning off the ability to be master browser on the interface doesn't work, it's still shown as master browser. Running SMBv2 or 3 won't work as the machine needs SMB v1. I've updated Windows thinking it was something there, I've turned SMB on and off and back on again a dozen or more times. It's not windows, it's FreeNAS and I suspect it's because of the master browser situation. I thought mapping using the IP would bypass that but it's the same story.

Will TrueNAS have the same problem?

My hardware is: Supermicro server board, Intel 2 core, 65w CPU, 16GB ECC RAM, 3x WD RED drives in some type of zfs raid similar to Raid5.
All we need is a place to store files and Windows Install Images (we make computer cooling parts, delid tools, direct to die tools etc.. and at times we do contract work for OEMs. Our LGA 2066 direct to die can drop temps by 20-25c which can give them a big advantage over their competition) it doesn't have to be super fast but we need it to be redundant.

Is TrueNAS the solution I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance.

FreeNAS has just been rebranded TrueNAS they arent necessarily different. If setup correctly TrueNAS absolutely can handle all of this, and quite well. If your strictly looking for file storage only, you can use just about any OS there is to accomplish that, but at its core, thats what TrueNAS is.

What is a master browser?

Rockit

Cadet
Just in case anyone searches for this.

I installed TrueNAS, shared one dataset via SMB, allowing guest access.
So far everything is working great.
Scans show only one master browser on the network and I'm not having any problems accessing my machines.

What is a master browser?
In a workgroup setting you will have one computer that is voted to be the "master browser". That computer acts like a little DNS for the workgroup, maintaining a list of available computers / servers. More info here -> PCChuck's Network