More Freedom to configure K3s in SCALE

mattzera

Cadet
SCALE is amazing and I'm really enjoying using it on my home NAS.

After playing around with it for a while I've started to feel limited by the restrictions that are placed on K3s. (No external access for example)

I think there is a real use case for somebody who wants to run the TrueNAS software but manage k3s manually.

Of course this would mean foregoing use of the official charts and 3rd party charts specifically created for scale.

I've personally considered running K3s in a vm or running a different operating system but I haven't because the base TrueNAS software is just so useful and I figured maybe other people would have the same desire I do.

Perhaps an option in advanced settings for an unmanaged k3s? I'm wondering what others think. Maybe I'm the only one who wants this.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Running as a separate VM is the most reliable approach.. .. that way you can use official Aps and charts, while still having a reliable Kubernetes sandbox.

In the meantime, document the features you need from the built-in Kubernetes. Its not complete and we appreciate a prioritized list of features that users need.

ornias

Wizard
After playing around with it for a while I've started to feel limited by the restrictions that are placed on K3s. (No external access for example)
This is just temporary untill the second release of SCALE, because it isn't ready to handle clustering of k8s for first release.

I think there is a real use case for somebody who wants to run the TrueNAS software but manage k3s manually.
In that case a VM or seperate machine is the way to go, because an Appliance isn't really suited for completely custom setups. It would also place the burden of bugreports about custom setups on iX, which I completely understand they dannot want.

I've personally considered running K3s in a vm or running a different operating system but I haven't because the base TrueNAS software is just so useful and I figured maybe other people would have the same desire I do.

Perhaps an option in advanced settings for an unmanaged k3s? I'm wondering what others think. Maybe I'm the only one who wants this.
iX generally has the stance "everything outside of the middleware, isn't supported by iX" and "we donnot add GUI features which we cannot support ourselves".
Remember, you have a (clustered) storage appliance OS, not just another debian-based distro ;-)