Mixing Spindle Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorfiusX

Dabbler
I have a number of drives from different machines that I would like to consolidate using FreeNAS. They are: a pair of Segate Barracudas (2tb), three WD Blacks, and three Hitachi Green (2tb).

I planned on implementing multiple mirrored pairs in a single vdev. Would mirroring a WD Black with a Hitachi Green (7200 and 5900 RPM respectively) be a bad idea?

ProtoSD

MVP
MorfiusX,

I'm not sure about mirrors, though I suspect it should work, but 2 of my 5 disks in my Raidz2 are different speeds. I've been running that way for over a year without any problems. Keep in mind that your write speed will probably be only as fast as the slowest disks speed. ZFS is pretty flexible, so give it a try and you might be surprised.

-- Proto

paleoN

Wizard
I planned on implementing multiple mirrored pairs in a single vdev. Would mirroring a WD Black with a Hitachi Green (7200 and 5900 RPM respectively) be a bad idea?
I'm assuming you mean multiple vdevs, striped mirrors, in a single pool. Unless you are talking about hardware RAID which would be a completely different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.