Mix WD Red and HGST NAS 4TB in a pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumee

Explorer
Hello,

Is it ok to mix WD Red 4TB and HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB in the same pool? Do they have the capacity?

Thanks

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,

Is it ok to mix WD Red 4TB and HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB in the same pool? Do they have the capacity?

Thanks

The main problem is that they are different RPM. I'd rather have consistent performance characteristics across disks in the pool. That said, I don't think it will blow up on you.

Dice

Wizard
I would not choose that configuration if I'd be starting from scratch.
On the other hand, if some drives are on hand already and the others have an appealing price I'd do the mixed setup.

Okay? Absolutely. Optimal? Probably not. Will you ever know you have mixed drives? Nope.

Cheers,
Matt

okgunguy

Explorer
I have 3 WD 4Tb Reds and 3 WD 4Tb Greens. The reds are rated at 5400 rpm. The greens, I have no idea. They have that "intellipower". Of course I hacked those and turned down the idle time. I have streamed 3 movies at a time with no problems. If you had 6 different drives of the same size I doubt you'd see any problems. Especially if you have the max RAM you can fit into it.

jdong

Explorer
I set up a semi mixed pool of this exact config (reds and HGSTs) and decided to pair each red with a HGST for diversity, since I bought both sets in one batch as a part of a sale and used them in mirrored pairs.

It pretty much negates any HGST performance benefit but it didn't matter much to me. In an ideal world I would buy multiple batches of Reds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.