Mirrored SSD boot with cache (ZIL?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjp4756

Contributor
I'm putting together a new server with a supermicro x10 board (the one with the onboard lsi controller). My plan is to use 2 ssd drives for freenas. In the 9.3 beta forum someone had posted how to manually partition the drive so you can also have a cache partition (I think it was ZIL). I'm pretty sure I don't want to mess around with l2arc yet.

2 things:

1. Would this be a smart thing to do with mirrored ssds? I'm thinking there would be a cache partition on each drive which would work independently from the mirror. You would then specify each cache partition as a cache for your pool.
2. Any chance someone has a link to the post that had the instructions?

Thanks!

D

dlavigne

It is recommended that the ZIL (or the L2ARC) be on its own device (i.e. not a partition) and to not create a ZIL unless the system has enough RAM to support it and a use-case that would benefit from it. See the ZFS Primer section of the docs for more info.

kjp4756

Contributor
Ok thanks. That's what I kind of thought.

I think it was you that posted something in the 9.3 beta forum about using an SSD for cache and something else. I thought it was using an SSD for boot and cache however the more I think about it the more I think I was mistaken.

I'm going to stick with mirrored USB flash drives any way.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, that was someone else, and the advice should NOT be used. It is in error.

Status
Not open for further replies.