Minidlna; a little help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berrick

Explorer
A little background.

I originally setup Freenas 8.2 for use with AD integration and to run it with "bare minimum hardware" and it works a treat though without ZFS.

I upgraded to 9.1.1 with the same goals as above and it still rocks :)

I am now trying to get Minidlna to work and a lack of knowledge requires me to ask for help. I have all my MP3's and DVD's in folders on a Windows CIFS share /mnt/media mountpoint MyData.

I have Minidlna installed and configured the media directory to point to /mnt/media but don't know if this is right to be able to view or play my media on an ipod using mlplayer lite.

Any help would be appreciated

praecorloth

Contributor
Likely you're running this in a jail. Which means that /mnt/media in the jail is different from /mnt/media on your FreeNAS install. What you'll want to do is create a mount point inside the jail, then you create a sort of link between where your media lives in FreeNAS, and where you want it mounted in your MiniDLNA jail. Then you need to configure the plugin to look at your media directories appropriately.

(This video is for the Plex media server, but it's useful in that it will show you how to create the link between the media directories on FreeNAS, and a mount point inside of a jail. It will not, however, show you the configuration for the MiniDLNA plugin.
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WF0r36cxO0#t=4m22s
)

Now let's direct the jail to the appropriate directories. Let's say that on your FreeNAS box, your media is located in /mnt/media/DVDs, and /mnt/media/Music, and that you've created a link between your two environments as follows. /media inside your jail is linked to /mnt/media on your FreeNAS box.

In your configuration (and this is where I start to get a little fuzzy, as I don't have a functional setup yet, see my post in this forum for more details), you specify the Media Directory as /media, and in the Aux Parameters, you specify specific directories for specific content.

media_dir=V,/media/DVDs
media_dir=A,/media/Music

That's about the best help I can give. My setup is not 100% functional at the moment, so I am definitely not an authority on this. But hopefully this gives you some new info to chew on.

berrick

Explorer
TY for taking the time to offer assistance.

I had looked at your post and watched the same youtube vid you linked too several times before I made this post.

I wasn't sure but assumed that the purpose of the source and destination paths in the configuration of the storage for the relevant jail was to create links to the actual location of the data. Your reply confirms this.

The problem I have now is I can't even enable minidlna so I'm removing it and starting again.

Plex is working though so thats something.

Thanxs again

Status
Not open for further replies.