migration questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scareh

Contributor
bear with me on this one plz ;)

I have 2 freenas installations atm:

1)
Build FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64 (dff7d13)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3110 @ 3.00GHz
Memory 7146MB

2) is an old pc with 2 gigs ram and an 8.3 release version.

The first installation was originally 8.3 aswell, it gave an error on upgrade so i just made a new installation.
Unfortunately it has a wrong raid controller (see http://forums.freenas.org/threads/moving-to-new-installation.13914/#post-66076 LSI Megaraid SAS 8708EM2 RAID Controller)
I learned i needed the IBM serveraid (which i have now, only have to crossflash it) to get the maximum out of my installation.

Basicly what i want is move the 3 disks from the old PC (3tb, 250GB and 125GB on an 8.3release) towards the first server.
question here is: Will I be able to move 3 disks from 8.3 release towards the new 9.1 release? Or should i upgrade the nas towards 9.1 first? (knowing the other 8.3 release didn't wanted to be upgrade to 9.1). What is the "correct" procedure on moving the disks?
1) just unplug them in old server and insert em in new server
2) i know there is an off line version on the 8.3 release, is that better?
3) anything i didn't think off?

However i learned that when i'm installing the new raid controller the old disk that are currently on the old megaraid controller will be whiped clean
<quote>
cyberjock, Jul 23, 2013

Nope. The lack of SMART support is a hardware limitation. The only way to get SMART support is to get a HBA. Unfortunately for you, if you decide to build the system with your current controller you won't be able to move the hard drives off the controller without wiping them. (see http://forums.freenas.org/threads/moving-to-new-installation.13914/#post-66076 last post)
</quote>
I'm expecting cyberjock is correct on this. However, i'm wondering if the jails that are on the currect 9.1 release can be backuped. I mean as in I download em and then reupload em when I install the new raid controller.
Since it's a custom jail with ports it's kinda a bitch to remake em. (just wondering if it's possible).

ANd then 1 last question, if i crossflash the IBM 1015 in IT mode, do i need to do anything else to get my disks in freenas directly?

sry about the confusing post, i'll post more questions when i think of them ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.