Migrating to a new ZPOOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacopx

Patron
Buongiorno a tutti!
My system is working very fine (I think ahaha), but now i need to upgrade my storage!
My actual configuration is:
  • 1x WD RED 3TB (NO RAID) ---> Media, jails, not too much important data
  • 2x WD RED 3TB (RAID 1) ---> Important Work Data
I have understand that my single drive configuration is dangerous and i want something more reliable. The RAID 1 config is enough, i don't need other space at this time.

My idea is to migrate (my single drive) to a RAIDZ configuration, which is the best for me? My data are not too important, i used this drive for Plex reproduction, transmission and other stuffs, i like to have at least 1 disk failure... It's RAID-Z1 good? (3x WD RED 4TB ---> 8TB storage around 460€)

How can i migrate all my data and my jails between this two config?
Is really better to have RAID-Z2? I think yes, 2 disks failure...
Can i encrypt my new RAID config and having a good performance too? I have an Intel Xeon E5-2670 (http://ark.intel.com/products/64595...E5-2670-20M-Cache-2_60-GHz-8_00-GTs-Intel-QPI) that i think support AES-NI but i'm not sure...

Thanks to everyone! :D

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
which is the best for me?
Nobody can answer that for you.
My data are not too important ... i like to have at least 1 disk failure... It's RAID-Z1 good?
RAIDZ1 allows one drive to fail without data loss. It's not generally recommended for disks above 1TB, but you can choose it if you want.
How can i migrate all my data and my jails between this two config?
Use zfs send/receive to recursively replicate a recursive snapshot.
Is really better to have RAID-Z2? I think yes, 2 disks failure...
RAIDZ2 allows two drive to fail without data loss, so it's more reliable than RAIDZ1. Neither is a substitute for having backups of important data.

You have to decide how to balance your risk tolerance against the cost and complexity of each option.
Can i encrypt my new RAID config and having a good performance too?
Yes, but there are major pitfalls, so don't unless it's absolutely necessary.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I recommend against encryption, unless it is *REQUIRED* by some business/govt enterprise policy--or law--for the data.

The threat surface of a ZFS pool is very small---people stealing shit from your house won't know what ZFS is, and the guy in the western digital RMA center doesn't have enough time or inclination to bother with your stuff. If you're being targeted by the State, you're likely screwed anyway. Plus no one gives a shit about your stuff. So, total "advantages" and "defensive usefulness" of encryption? I think nearly zero. And in any case, if people want to steal your shit, coming through your network and just leisurely taking all your (decrypted, since it's mounted) shit is far far easier.

Now the risks? The risks are CONSIDERABLE, *especially* for a novice user. One false move, and your pool can no longer be mounted, and your files are gone forever. Don't believe me? Check out the hundreds of posts in the forum.

So in my view, the risk<->reward continuum here says that, for almost everyone, encrypting your pool is actually dumb. That's my view.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I recommend against encryption, unless it is *REQUIRED* by some business/govt enterprise policy--or law--for the data.

The threat surface of a ZFS pool is very small---people stealing shit from your house won't know what ZFS is, and the guy in the western digital RMA center doesn't have enough time or inclination to bother with your stuff. If you're being targeted by the State, you're likely screwed anyway. Plus no one gives a shit about your stuff. So, total "advantages" and "defensive usefulness" of encryption? I think nearly zero. And in any case, if people want to steal your shit, coming through your network and just leisurely taking all your (decrypted, since it's mounted) shit is far far easier.

Now the risks? The risks are CONSIDERABLE, *especially* for a novice user. One false move, and your pool can no longer be mounted, and your files are gone forever. Don't believe me? Check out the hundreds of posts in the forum.

So in my view, the risk<->reward continuum here says that, for almost everyone, encrypting your pool is actually dumb. That's my view.
+1

If you're spying for some country, ask your handlers for help. They'll know how ensure opsec. ;)

Otherwise, stick to encrypted containers (VeraCrypt, the successor of TrueCrypt, seems to be popular), since they're easier to manage and harder to break.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
stick to encrypted containers
Absolutely. Most of us have maybe, a few files, that truly require encryption. Use Veracrypt, and store the encrypted container on your UNENCRYPTED filesystem.

Jacopx

Patron
ok, I understand that the missile launch codes NORAD will be saved somewhere else! [emoji23]

I Think that I'm going to set up a RAID-Z2 with 4x WD RED 4TB. I haven't understand how can I migrate my data! [emoji53]

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

Jacopx

Patron

Jacopx

Patron
I think that i'm going to substitute my single disk with 5x WD Red 3TB and config it in RAID-Z2, it's a good choice? I will have a good space and i can effort 1 disk failure.

I have calculate (https://jsfiddle.net/Biduleohm/paq5u7z5/1/embedded/result/ , Thanks for this!! :D)
Total parity space: 6TB - 40%
Total data space: 9TB - 60%
Total RAID space: 15TB 100%
Price: 550€

Is something that i can do with my single (now active) disk after the replacement? I'm sure that i can't add it to my new ZPool... I can set aside for the future (future disk failure), i think is the only way, or not?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
5x WD Red 3TB and config it in RAID-Z2, it's a good choice? I will have a good space and i can effort 1 disk failure.
RAIDZ2 is a good choice for reliability, because it can withstand 2 disk failures without data loss.
Is something that i can do with my single (now active) disk after the replacement?
Keep it as a cold spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.