Migrating from WHS and Drive Extender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njphillips01

Cadet
I am considering migrating from Windows Home Server, and the included Drive Extender (DE). In my former config, I had a mish-mash of drives, sizes, makes, models, etc. DE handled these perfectly, but I am not sure if FreeNAS can as well. What are my options?

Njphillips01

Cadet
If your asking me if I conducted my own due-diligence prior to posting here; I made it through the first 140 pages or so of the manual, and then when I didnt see what I was looking for, I quickly skimmed the rest. Then I conducted five+ minutes of searching this forum and reading previous posts, but I am still not sure on the capabilities IRT mixed hardware, specifically HDDs and FreeNAS. My real question is how FreeNAS handles different size drives grouped together, as the left/right limits of my hardware are pretty unflexible.

Can FreeNAS emulate JBOD? Are there any redundency controls built in (similar to microsoft drive extender)...where data stored in a JBOD configuration is duplicated on different drives for safety? Is an external back-up solution the ONLY (not most reliable) way to duplicate data?

I guess I missed those aspects of the documentation, and to be honest, linked references to the WIKI without explanations are not the answer I was expecting... at least not from a Senior Member. OTOH, if this is the standard level of help given to new users to FreeNAS, then I think you answered my question perfectly. Thank you for your time.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Njphillips01,

The short answer is no, FreeNAS won't do what you are looking for.

If you take a mix of different sized drives FreeNAS will use the capacity of the smallest sized drive.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.