Migrating from Virtual to Physical TrueNAS Scale install

a.dresner

Explorer
Done with virtualized TrueNAS. As per the notes in this forum, I originally created my TrueNAS in physical, then restored it in virtual.

Been a while, want to share steps here to make sure I get this right..going in the opposite direction.

1. Backup TrueNas config file
2. Do I need to export my Pool?
3. Install TrueNas on the hardware with the the HBA/Disks that were previously passed thru to the TrueNas VM (do they need to stay on the same channels (cables) on the HBA?)
4. Restore configuration file.
5. If the pool isn't seen? Import it?

Any other things to consider?

Thank you

artlessknave

Wizard
Do I need to export my Pool?
technically safer but realistically doesnt matter that much
(do they need to stay on the same channels (cables) on the HBA?)
they don't even need to be on the HBA. as long as they are directly attached and TrueNAS can see them, they should be available for use.
If the pool isn't seen? Import it?
the pool will not import automatically.

the only problem I can think of would be if you didn't pass through the controller and were using some kind of disk passthrough, but that doesn't appear to be the case so it should work just fine.

a.dresner

Explorer
technically safer but realistically doesnt matter that much

they don't even need to be on the HBA. as long as they are directly attached and TrueNAS can see them, they should be available for use.

the pool will not import automatically.

the only problem I can think of would be if you didn't pass through the controller and were using some kind of disk passthrough, but that doesn't appear to be the case so it should work just fine.
Thank you and to your point, the VM that I am migrating to physical has an HBA passed through, with all disks attached to the HBA. Plan to move that HBA/disks to the new Physical server, restore the config file, import the pool and sounds like I should be in business. Have a great day....

a.dresner

Explorer
Restored the config file and didn't even need to import my pool, it was right there. Pretty amazing.

Strange tho... server gracefully shutdown 3 times after running for about 5 minutes.

This is System 1 in my signature. System 2 running for a long time already with no issues. Going screen by screen in all the BIOS and BMC settings. The only differences were PXE boot was off in System 1, which shouldn't be an issue but i turned it on. And the fan was set to standard speed in system 1, full speed in system 2. Logs in System 1 filled with critical errors about the fan. Only thing I can think of is TrueNas was seeing the fan errors and shutting down? I put the fans on full speed, turned it on, it shut down one more time and then it's been running for 5 hours wit no issue. Might be the fans?

Last edited: