Microsoft Account user mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truenigma

Cadet
All,
While testing windows 10 I ran into a problem authenticating my Microsoft Account to my FreeNAS box.
I found a work around from the linux community, manually tested it, and would like to see the feature added to avoid future headaches for others.

link for linux work around:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/498804-samba-and-windows-8-1-login

Steps in FreeNAS. (I'm a CLI guy by nature but there should be a way to do this via the user preferences in the GUI) :

01 - stop samba
# service samba_server stop
02 - create username map file, substitute your user.name/domain as needed.
# vi /usr/local/etc/smbusers
user.name = user.name@domain.com
03 - Update /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf to use username map.
under [global] add:
username map = /usr/local/etc/smbusers
04 - start samba
# service samba_server start

As usual the password for your user account on FreeNAS must match the password of the windows account.
To simplify things the easiest solution I can think of would be to add a checkbox for "Microsoft Account" next to the email addresses in the user settings of FreeNAS, if checked the system would update the username map as listed above.

If this does not get added as a feature hopefully the thread will at least help someone in the future. This should clear up issues for folks Running Windows 8, 8.1, 10 +

Justin

D

dlavigne

Thanks for the writeup. Please also create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Truenigma

Cadet
John Hixson wrote:
> Added with commit:af8d948d2a05f9583f4a5257edfbfeb9383e5238. This just needs testing. Are you willing to test it? ;-)

Setup a new instance on my VMWare cluster, loaded nightly and tested. This appears to be working: smb4.conf and smbusers files have been updated appropriately and I am able to access the CIFS share from my Microsoft Account on a windows 10 box.
Thanks for the fast turn around, I look forward to this making 9.3 Stable Train.

Justin

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How does this work exactly? Add a sort of alias, which matches the Windows account name, for the username?

Truenigma

Cadet
How does this work exactly? Add a sort of alias, which matches the Windows account name, for the username?
Exactly, a Windows 8+ host with a Microsoft account passes the full email address user@domain.com to the samba server, the mapping allows samba to map that email address back to a regular user account.

Status
Not open for further replies.