BUILD Media server for small video production house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Studd Mufin

Cadet
I'll start off with I have never built a freenas but i've looked through a lot of these threads looking for good hardware recommendations etc. Anyway i'll try not to bore you guys and get to the stuff. I'm looking to build a server to hold a ton of video media for a small video production house. We shoot lots of HD video and starting to do a lot more 4k video. We want to be able to house all the media on one server and have a few editors working with the media. We are currently have 5 edit machines but we want some extra room for growth.

Here are the parts i'm thinking of getting let me know if anything is not good.

Case - NZXT Source elite 210 http://amzn.com/B005869J4O (I already have it from an old computer)
CPU - E3-1230v3 http://amzn.com/B00D697PEG
Mobo - Supermicro x10sae http://amzn.com/B00D656NSY
RAM - 32gb Samsung ECC RAM http://amzn.com/B00A74PF9K
HDDs - 8x 3tb WD RED drives

I'm also thinking of getting IO Creset pci sata card if we need to expand more http://amzn.com/B00AZ9T3OU

Let me explain to you what my plan is and if I'm making a mistake or doing something stupid or could be doing better/more efficiently let me know.
I'm thinking of doing 1 pool of 8x 3tb WD Red drives in raidz3. I would have 15tb of usable storage with 3 redundant disks. Is raidz3 safe enough?
My other option is 2 pools. 1 pool that is 4x3tb wd red that is for our current projects that is in raidz2 and a backup pool (4x3tb wd red) in raidz2 that we would backup our projects to.
So I would essentially have 6tb of 'usable' space. Is that overkill?

Is the CPU overkill? could I get away with something less powerful and a little cheaper? I'm thinking that compression with zfs and all my video files wouldn't really help save space so it probably isn't worth trying.

any and all help would be appreciated.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Don't get that pci sata card - that's definitely a bad idea. Get an M1015 and flash it to IT mode. I would also choose mirrors over RAIDZ for performance reasons. You will also need to plan out how you will do backups. Offsite backups are a good idea.

Studd Mufin

Cadet
okay i'll get an m1015. We already have a system setup for offsite backups but i'm just making sure this system is good. In a perfect world I would have no need to use the offsite backups. So is this hardware list good? I have check supermicro and the recommended RAM but how about the rest of the parts?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you install fans everywhere you can install them then it might make a good case. But without all the fans installed I'd never use it as a FreeNAS box. You also *may* have heat problems with your hard drives. But you won't know until you try and since you have the case I'd just throw the extra fans in the case and "see what happens". Either your hard drives will be too hot or they won't.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
okay i'll get an m1015. We already have a system setup for offsite backups but i'm just making sure this system is good. In a perfect world I would have no need to use the offsite backups. So is this hardware list good? I have check supermicro and the recommended RAM but how about the rest of the parts?
You're starting up with your RAM maxed out. It may be a good idea to get a motherboard that allows expanding beyond 32GB. Make sure you have a good quality power supply and UPS that works with it.

l@e

Contributor
If you think to edit video from share, it will be a problem sharing it through normal gbe. Uncompressed hd can go up to 50-70 mbps, but even considering using a normal 35 mbps it is not like streaming video from the box that you calculate lan speed / mbps = max no of streams. If you adobe premiere or other editing software they need very fast access (low latency) in order to work without waiting seconds after you move the pointer in timeline. Considering that you have 5 concurrent ws that means that the hdd will go crazy up and down to serve the client from different files. I have been editing video since the premiere 5 versions. For application like yours i think it will not satisfy the load. If you consider 4k it will be much worse.
Solution:
Use the nas box as archive, download from the video files there to keep them safe.
Also projects and stills can be used from there
Put some 15 k hdd to the ws and each user copies the raw videos interested at the moment. Y
Projects take days to complete just calculate ws capacity to be enough for concurrent jobs.
The exported video after finishing can be stored on the nas for archive and playing back to clients as examples.
I did smth like this years ago and the good point is that you save a lot money on protecting just one machine in raid.
Otherwise each ws with hw raid you would also loose hdd size in raid and that would cost more because you need 15k hdd on ws.

Status
Not open for further replies.