Media box for Streaming CIF Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

berksmb

Cadet
I currently have a FreeNAS using CIF shares to stream media, but I'm looking for a way to connect my Sony Bravia to the NAS it won't let me find it on the TV so I'm looking to maybe get a media player like this. Anyone know of anything that's good for this? or have any know how of how to get a Sony Bravia connect to your NAS easily?

paleoN

Wizard
You could try 8.2.0-BETA4-x64 and minidlna. You failed to mention what Bravia you have & what version of FreeNAS you are running. A media player may be easier to get setup, but it's up to you.

cubix

Hi berksmb,

What model Sony Bravia do you have? It may have dlna capabilities. FreeNAS 8.04 Multimedia (no gui) and FreeNAS 8.2.0 + jail can use minidlna. There are lots of information in these forums if you search for "minidlna".

Alternatively, sticking with NFS or CIFS shares, using a media player connected to your tv will work fine. I currently have xbmc installed on a jailbroken apple tv 2.

berksmb

Cadet
Hi berksmb,

What model Sony Bravia do you have? It may have dlna capabilities. FreeNAS 8.04 Multimedia (no gui) and FreeNAS 8.2.0 + jail can use minidlna. There are lots of information in these forums if you search for "minidlna".

Alternatively, sticking with NFS or CIFS shares, using a media player connected to your tv will work fine. I currently have xbmc installed on a jailbroken apple tv 2.

You could try 8.2.0-BETA4-x64 and minidlna. You failed to mention what Bravia you have & what version of FreeNAS you are running. A media player may be easier to get setup, but it's up to you.

I have the Sony BRAVIA KDL-46EX711 46 inch LED it has the wifi dongle included. While my system information is: FreeNAS Build - FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p3-x64 (11703), OS Version - FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p9.
I read about setting up jails on freenas but all the guides were quite vague, so if I do choose to use dlna I'll have to change my freenas version? and then setup dlna with minidlan or upgrade to freenas 8.04 multimedia? Will this keep my current raid setup?
Thanks a lot guys.

cubix

I have the Sony BRAVIA KDL-46EX711 46 inch LED it has the wifi dongle included.

From what I can see, uPnP/dlna will work. No additional hardware required.

While my system information is: FreeNAS Build - FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p3-x64 (11703), OS Version - FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p9.

You can upgrade to FreeNAS 8.0.4 "multimedia" very easily. Just remember to back up your config to be safe. This version comes with minidlna but there is no gui for minidlna so your setup will need to be done from the cli but it's basically just entering the location of your media directories. This thread will help http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...dlna-on-the-freenas-nightlies-post-09-25-2011

I read about setting up jails on freenas but all the guides were quite vague, so if I do choose to use dlna I'll have to change my freenas version? and then setup dlna with minidlan or upgrade to freenas 8.04 multimedia? Will this keep my current raid setup?
Thanks a lot guys.

I personally would stay with 8.0.4 until 8.2 is released and the jails have been fully tested. The changes between beta 2 and beta 3 were substantial. To answer your question, yes you will need to upgrade, but you are effectively staying with the same version of FreeNAS, just adding minidlna support. Your current setup will remain.

berksmb

Cadet
From what I can see, uPnP/dlna will work. No additional hardware required.

You can upgrade to FreeNAS 8.0.4 "multimedia" very easily. Just remember to back up your config to be safe. This version comes with minidlna but there is no gui for minidlna so your setup will need to be done from the cli but it's basically just entering the location of your media directories. This thread will help http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...dlna-on-the-freenas-nightlies-post-09-25-2011

I personally would stay with 8.0.4 until 8.2 is released and the jails have been fully tested. The changes between beta 2 and beta 3 were substantial. To answer your question, yes you will need to upgrade, but you are effectively staying with the same version of FreeNAS, just adding minidlna support. Your current setup will remain.

So how do I go about backing up my settings? Also is there a tutorial on how to upgrade your NAS version?

paleoN

Wizard
So how do I go about backing up my settings? Also is there a tutorial on how to upgrade your NAS version?

1. Buy a second USB stick
  2. Backup your configuration using System -> Settings -> General -> Save Config
  3. Install 8.04 multimedia or 8.2 Beta 4 to 2nd stick
  4. Restore your configuration using System -> Settings -> General -> Upload Config

You should have at least 2 USB drives anyway in case one dies. This method also makes it very easy to revert to the older version - reboot & switch USB drives.

berksmb

Cadet
  4. Restore your configuration using System -> Settings -> General -> Upload Config

You should have at least 2 USB drives anyway in case one dies. This method also makes it very easy to revert to the older version - reboot & switch USB drives.

Sorry for the delay, long weekend. Can I get a link to the 8.04 multimedia ISO? I've got everything backed and ready to go once I get that ISO.
EDIT: Found it here

berksmb

Cadet

All right, everything is done 8.0.4 Multimedia is installed, now how do I get it to work :S

paleoN

Wizard
All right, everything is done 8.0.4 Multimedia is installed, now how do I get it to work :S
joeschmuck did a thorough [post=19831]how-to[/post] on it. I'd read through it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.