SOLVED mDNSResponder error, can't register new AuthRecord

Status
Not open for further replies.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
Hi guys,

I've tried a lot to fix this. It is a strange issue.

I upgraded from 9.1 to 9.2.1. Ever since I did that, my FreeNAS system cannot connect to my network. Pinging Google and my personal machine's IP both return 100% failures. I can't access the WebGUI because of this.

I make my lagg, then set it to a static IP. If I leave it DHCP, I can connect.

Nothing had changed hardware wise between the two (before the upgrade and after). I've reinstalled FreeNAS 3 times but that doesn't change anything. IPMI works through the third NIC as I can access the interface there fine.

FreeNAS reports that mDNSResponder and mDNS_register_internal return an ERROR!! because the records already exist. Specifically this,

12913368214_5830bc8dba_o.png

Note that the IP address I give it is 10.0.12.14, and I have tried giving it 10.0.12.244 before. None work.

It works fine when the Default Gateway and the DNS servers are configured as well, but the IP address is DHCP.

Here is "grep -i error /var/log/messages",

12913552683_7cf51caab2_o.png

Any help is appreciated. I'm at a complete loss because I've been trouble shooting this for a few days.

The thing is, sometimes after a reboot, it will let me in, such as above, but most of the time, it won't let me in.

Thanks,
Vitalius.

Yatti420

Wizard
I don't believe that error is causing the networking issues..

kjp4756

Contributor
Same issue here....no network. Once I do a clean install it will work fine until I reboot. After I reboot I get a ton of mdns errors on the screen and it says I can access the GUI at http://0.0.0.0 If I reboot enough times, eventually it'll grab an IP. This just started since installing 9.2.1.2.

D

dlavigne

I agree with Yatti420 that the message is most likely unrelated.

So what are you trying to accomplish? A lagg with a static IP (it's hard to tell from your original post).

TremorAcePV

Explorer
Same issue here....no network. Once I do a clean install it will work fine until I reboot. After I reboot I get a ton of mdns errors on the screen and it says I can access the GUI at http://0.0.0.0 If I reboot enough times, eventually it'll grab an IP. This just started since installing 9.2.1.2.

Same exact issue basically.
I agree with Yatti420 that the message is most likely unrelated.

So what are you trying to accomplish? A lagg with a static IP (it's hard to tell from your original post).

The only reason I figured it was is because it mentioned registering an IP. My lack of knowledge I suppose.

I'm trying to connect to my FreeNAS via the static IP I assign to my lagg. However, I can't connect to my FreeNAS system at all until I've rebooted it multiple times, whether I use the DHCP IP, Static IP, or whatever. I just cannot connect.

TremorAcePV

Explorer
I opened a bug report. https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4459

In my case I'm using regular DHCP. No lagg or anything like that.

I see you figured out it was your Smart Cisco Switch.

Just so it's known, I deleted FreeNAS' host record on our primary DNS server and that fixed the problem for me.

12913368214_5830bc8dba_o.png

The 14.12.0.10.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) is a Pointer Record in Windows' DNS server. Strange that deleting that fixed it, but whatever. Although, in part, it makes sense. After reconfiguration, my system's hostname was FREENAS.DOMAIN.COM and the PTR was for FREENAS14.DOMAIN.COM. Not sure why it wouldn't just update, but hey, it's fixed.

If I knew how to set the tag for the thread to "Solved", I would. Thanks to those who helped.

Nevermind. It didn't fix it. It worked for a bit, but then it messed up again. Time to install 9.1.0. *sigh*

Hans Baumeister

Dabbler
I get the same message:
mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 0000000800C30180 40.30.20.10.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) that\'s already in the list

This repeats every so often. I have a static IP set which works just fine. Subsequently, I don't think your static / DHCP IP issue is due to this.

No idea what the mDNS_Register_internal bit is supposed to mean, though!

sumsum

Cadet
I get this message too. My bigtank is using a fixed IP in my network, while the clients using DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.