Maximum amount of items allowed for FTP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I know some storage company using Linux for their FTP server limit the amount of items per directory to 10 000, will FreeNAS allow more than 10 000 items into a single directory?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Guillaume

D

dlavigne

ZFS is practically unlimited in number of files (2 to the power of 48), subject to available disk space of course.

So for example, if I upload 11 000 files into a directory and I will never get errors? I know ZFS can have almost unlimited number of files but will Pro-FTPd will allow directory listing of more than 10 000 items?

Last edited:
I don't have a advanced knowledge with Pro-FTPd but the informations at the link provided spoke about the limit of open files, not the maximum amount of items into a single directory. This is mean the same thing?

Im sorry but I don't see the default value of the maximum numbers of item allowed per directory on the ProFTPd website at the link above. What I need to look for, I make a search on that page with key words ''maximum'' ''max'' ''items'' and also for maximise my chance to find something, I search with the key word ''10 000''. I found some results but its not what I looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not aware of any limition imposed by FreeNAS or proftpd that is "default". If you have a concern related to a maximum number of files and that value is being enforced by proftpd on linux I would find out what that setting is in the conf file and then look for a matching entry in FreeNAS. Unfortunately you aren't giving us enough information to even check because we're not aware of any limitation. To me it sounds like a bunch of speculation with no actual evidence that the limitation is on proftpd's configuration or software limitation.

Unless you can provide more evidence I'd just "try it and see".

I just try and no, there was no limits of items per directory. I upload a bunch of 12 000 items into a single directory and no issues at all.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge with FreeNAS, I come from a Windows environnement and I just begin to use Unix.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No worries. We all have to start somewhere. ;)

Robert Smith

Patron
Ten thousand seems like an artificial limit set by some manager somewhere. If it was a technical limitation it would most likely be a power-of-two-round number.

Log2(10,000) ≈ 13.29 – not a nice round number for a binary computer to deal with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.