Making NAS Sleep ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houghton19

Dabbler
Hey guys,

Very new to Freenas, I just installed and managed to setup my 1st nas lastnight.

I am using the nas to store videos to stream to 3 popcorn hour players.

I managed to make all my harddisks one volume in the storage part and put my disks to spin down after 1 hour of non use.

The pc that im using to run the freenas is a old IBM server that was in a old store so the fan is quite loud, i was wondering is there any way of making the whole machine go to sleep after no activity for x minutes and then wake up on lan if any of the devices on my network call for it ??????

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That's a question that's mostly dependent on your "old IBM server." And the answer is almost certainly "no," because there's no standard way to have devices wake when arbitrary traffic is meant for them, and even for similar features like Wake-on-LAN, many retail environment servers are not designed with such features. However, being an IBM, there's a good chance that you can pull the fans and replace them with new ones or probably even some quieter ones.

You are still encouraged to shut it down and poke around in the BIOS to see if there are any options that might help you out, fan speed controls or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.