MacOS and setgid / sticky bit (the later being ignored)

kobuk

Cadet
I am having some issues with permissions: MacOS via SMB seems to ignore file system permissions (especially the sticky bit).

Does anyone of you have a hint how I could convince MacOS via Samba to obey the sticky bit?
And: are you aware of any good reason why setting "nt acl support = no" in the samba share options is a bad idea?

I am writing this here since it seems the only fix seems to be in the truenas/samba setup. In the terminal everything works as intended - so, the file system acls should be fine.

The starting conditions:
All my users are running MacOS 12.6 (no Windows users) and the server is running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0.

I am trying to prevent user from deleting a specific folder in a SMB share where they otherwise can do pretty much anything. Multiple users can access the share. They should be able to create and delete their files/folders in the share - except this specific folder. Within this specific folder they again should be able to delete/create everything - also files of other users. What I set up so far works perfectly via ssh. But MacOS via finder ignores the sticky bit:

My strategy so far:
So far my strategy is to set the setgid and sticky bit of the parent folder "Transfer" (which is also a dataset and share at the same time):

Code:
exampleuser@truenas:/mnt/DataPool/Transfer$ getfacl .

# file: .
# owner: root
# group: builtin_users
# flags: -st
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:backup:r-x
group:builtin_administrators:rwx
mask::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:backup:r-x
default:group:builtin_administrators:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

The folder (located within the above mentioned parent folder) - which nobody should be able to delete:

Code:
exampleuser@truenas:/mnt/DataPool/Transfer$ getfacl dont_delete_me/

# file: dont_delete_me/
# owner: root
# group: builtin_users
# flags: -s-
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:backup:r-x
group:builtin_administrators:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:backup:r-x
default:group:builtin_administrators:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

Example of a user:
Code:
exampleuser@truenas:/mnt/DataPool/Transfer$ id
uid=3000(exampleuser) gid=3000(exampleuser) groups=3000(exampleuser),545(builtin_users)

All other users are also member of the "builtin_users" group.

This works fine in the terminal via ssh: users cannot delete the "dont_delete_me" folder - the sticky bit makes sure of that since the folder is not owned by them. If a user creates another folder inside the "dont_delete_me" there is no sticky bit and other users therefore can delete those subfolders (because they are member of the "builtin_users" group). Perfect.

The issues
Now, when a user accesses this share via samba and the MacOS finder, the following, very different behavior can be observed:
  1. The setgid flag gets ignored and files/folders get created with ownership exampleuser:exampleuser instead of exampleuser:builtin_users preventing other users to delete within the "dont_delete_me" folder.
    I could fix this by adding "nt acl support = no" to the Auxiliary Parameters of the respective share. Now MacOS obeys the setgid flag.
  2. The sticky bit gets ignored: While users cannot rename the "dont_delete_me" folder, they can simply delete it! Apple, what are you doing?

Following my Samba config for the respective share:

Code:
exampleuser@truenas:/mnt/DataPool/Transfer$ sudo net conf list
[GLOBAL]
    disable spoolss = true
    syslog only = False
    winbind request timeout = 2
    create mask = 0775
    ntlm auth = False
    bind interfaces only = True
    logging = file
    unix charset = UTF-8
    restrict anonymous = 2
    netbios aliases = 
    fruit:nfs_aces = false
    netbios name = truenas
    dns proxy = false
    server multi channel support = False
    guest account = nobody
    max log size = 5120
    local master = True
    server string = TrueNAS Server
    fruit:zero_file_id = false
    load printers = false
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    passdb backend = tdbsam:/var/run/samba-cache/passdb.tdb
    directory mask = 0775
    printcap name = /dev/null
    log level = 1 auth_json_audit:3@/var/log/samba4/auth_audit.log
    server min protocol = SMB2_02
    idmap config * : range = 90000001 - 100000000
    idmap config * : backend = tdb

[Transfer]
    vfs objects = fruit streams_xattr acl_xattr zfs_core io_uring
    ea support = False
    tn:purpose = NO_PRESET
    path = /mnt/DataPool/Transfer
    tn:path_suffix = 
    tn:home = False
    comment = Temporary files to be moved somewhere else. Files will get deleted after a while.
    read only = False
    browseable = True
    guest ok = False
    hosts allow = 
    hosts deny = 
    access based share enum = False
    posix locking = False
    kernel oplocks = False
    smbd max xattr size = 2097152
    fruit:metadata = stream
    fruit:resource = stream
    fruit:time machine = False
    fruit:time machine max size = 0
    tn:vuid = 
    nt acl support = no

Thank you very much for any feedback! This issue is causing me serious headaches.

kobuk

Cadet
Just for the record let me describe my workaround so users cannot delete the dont_delete_me folder: I ended up with creating a sub dataset within the SMB shared original "Transfer" dataset. MacOS thinks it can delete it but if the user tries this obviously fails and therefore achieves the desired effect.

I my example I deleted the /mnt/DataPool/Transfer/dont_delete_me folder and instead created a "dont_delete_me" dataset in the "Transfer" dataset.