Machine freezes on add pluggin jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oko

Contributor
I am running FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 amd64. I ruined my Sunday trying to create plugin jail in order to be able to use pkgng to install Monit on my FreeNAS box. Is there a way to create plugin jail from CLI? Is this related to

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4180

Thank you.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
if you're installing monit, I assume you'll be installing it from ports. So you'd want to install a ports jail instead.

D

dlavigne

Either type of jail would work for this purpose, with plugins jail providing more flexibility.

According to https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4153 (linked from above ticket), creating the jail without vimage checked should fix the freeze.

Oko

Contributor
Either type of jail would work for this purpose, with plugins jail providing more flexibility.

According to https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4153 (linked from above ticket), creating the jail without vimage checked should fix the freeze.

That's what I thought. I was almost 100% sure that I was suppose to use plugins jail. I thought that I had created a jail without VIMAGE but when I checked it appears that I had it. Thanks for the info but I have to admit that after my yesterday experience I am terrified from creating jails on the production system.

D

dlavigne

There's nothing scary about running jails, they just take some getting used to. Think of it as a pre-installed FreeBSD virtual machine.

Oko

Contributor
Trying to install Monit from the CLI and not being in the jail plugins jail which was suppose to enable installation for the packages
Code:
[root@neill-zfs] /# pkg install monit
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg please wait
_http._tcp.pkg.FreeBSD.org
pkg: fail to extract pkg-static

Oko

Contributor
There's nothing scary about running jails, they just take some getting used to. Think of it as a pre-installed FreeBSD virtual machine.
Dru I am familiar with concept of jails for the last 7-8 years. I am just scared to run them on FreeNAS after random freeze like above. I have to keep my job and the fastest way to lose it is having to reboot the system and having NFS stale file handles on computing nodes because of it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Trying to install Monit from the CLI and not being in the jail plugins jail which was suppose to enable installation for the packages
Code:
[root@neill-zfs] /# pkg install monit
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
Bootstrapping pkg please wait
_http._tcp.pkg.FreeBSD.org
pkg: fail to extract pkg-static

That clip from the website is almost always a sign that you didn't run the command from inside a jail. I've gotten that when I thought I was inside a jail and I wasn't. hehe.

Oko

Contributor
That clip from the website is almost always a sign that you didn't run the command from inside a jail. I've gotten that when I thought I was inside a jail and I wasn't. hehe.
Damn! I misread the documentation.
DANGER! do not use the pkg_add command in a FreeNAS® jail as it will cause inconsistencies in your package management database.
So yes to answer your question. I haven't run pkg install inside the Jail because I read the documentation first just like in the case of plugin jail vs portsjail and I forgot that FreeBSD now has to packaging systems :(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
pkg_add is NOT pkg-ng(pkg command).

You shouldn't be using pkg_add since it's being deprecated. You shouldn't be using the old system. ;)

What I'm saying is if you try to use pkg-ng to install a package from FreeNAS itself you'll get the error.

Oko

Contributor
pkg_add is NOT pkg-ng(pkg command).

You shouldn't be using pkg_add since it's being deprecated. You shouldn't be using the old system. ;)

What I'm saying is if you try to use pkg-ng to install a package from FreeNAS itself you'll get the error.

I realized, I realized but you were faster to pull the trigger :) See above I edited the post.

Oko

Contributor
Now I am faced with the original problem. Monit is monitoring Jail not FreeNAS system o_O I guess back to square one and more reading.

Oko

Contributor
Now I am faced with the original problem. Monit is monitoring Jail not FreeNAS system o_O I guess back to square one and more reading.
Ok it is not as bad as I thought :) Monit reports jail name as a host name but cpu, memory are real system one. If I find to monitor ZFS volume and NFS exports I would be happy camper.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oko,

Please stop posting in 2 separate threads on this topic. Stick to one thread. Thanks.

Oko

Contributor
Oko,

Please stop posting in 2 separate threads on this topic. Stick to one thread. Thanks.
You should link the threads if you have admin privileges. Otherwise it is useful for people who are searching the net to see how the issues were resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.